0-justified track numbers

Hi, in my naming scheme I was using a counter with digits set to 2, and I was getting 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, just like I wanted.

But I tried to get smart and use track metadata for this instead, so I used @TrackIndex0X@ figuring it would give me the same thing. I got 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (no leading 0).

So, I switched back to using a counter, but I thought it might be worth a bug report.

(Mac, Catalina 10.15.7, WL 10.0.70)

Hi,

seems like a bug because the variables TrackIndex and TrackIndex0X are returning the same values.

Unless I don’t understand the “Index (justified 0X)” variable ?

Thanks

(Wavelab Pro 12)

Actually is works if you have at least 10 titles. Else a single digit is used. This is by (good?) design.

Ok, I see, my mistake, I tested it with a 9 track master…
So now I don’t know what to think about it :wink:

Anyway, thanks @PG1 !

Hi PG!

As to your “question” above if this is a good solution/design.

I think/would prefer that the “Index Justified (0x)” should be as stated; i.e. exactly “0x”, even when less than 10 titles, in order to be consistant.
Otherwise you can/should use only “Index”.

Just my view on this!

/Hackej

FWIW, I always prefer a two digit numeric prefix, as you never know what the future may bring and as mentioned, for consistency.

The current system allows to automatically justify track indexes above 100, but this is certainly not the most common case. I will consider an option for the 01/99 common case.

2 Likes

In WaveLab 12.0.20, the current variable with be renamed as “zero-padded 2-digit number” (no change needed on your side). And the current behavior will be the aim of a new variable called “zero-padded according to track count”.

2 Likes

Related to this topic, I found that the “title group” variable was not working correctly in the context of rendering titles. This will be fixed in WaveLab 12.0.20, hence it will be possible to use the variable “CdTrackGroup” to add for example a label A, B, C, etc to your naming scheme.
If you render for vinyl, you will be able to generate for example a “Side-A”, “Side-B” label for the songs you render.

2 Likes

Interesting. I was already solving this by using a Naming Scheme for Side A, Side B, Side C, Side D, etc. but maybe this will be better.

What we could really use is something like that in the Album Report so the PDF files can more easily exactly match the rendered file name(s).