1.01 update issues and suggestions...

Hi Dorico team,

First off, really appreciate that you guys’ hard work to made the first patch to Dorico, bringing some new features and fixed some bugs.

The program responds faster than 1.0 indeed, but there are still some issues need to be addressed I guess.

1. The expression map function seems not quite “intelligent”. The playback engine doesn’t pick up the correct articulation at the very first bar. Just typed in a phrase which begins with staccato and ends with pizzicato, but it doesn’t change the articulation back to staccato when the phrase is played again from the first bar, which means Dorico still plays pizzicato for the first bar.

2. Dorico doesn’t pick up the right sound patch for section player. I choose section player for the violins, but HAL SE picks up the violin solo patch.

3. Dorico doesn’t pick up pizzicato at the very first bar. The phrase begins with pizzicato, but the playback remains as sustain sound.

4. Accent notes sounds no difference to other notes, at least it doesn’t work with HAL SE, but it seems to work in VI Pro with expression map for Cubase.

5. Customised expression map (edited default maps or added new maps) can’t be saved in “Edit Expression Maps” after the current project is closed.

6. By observing note actions on the VST plugins (in my case is VI Pro), Dorico will hold the KSW note until the music ends, not just hit and release the KSW note.

7. Additional VST Instruments are not played. Like the setup I showed in the screenshot, Dorico only plays the first VST Instrument, but not both at the same time (Kontakt has no sound). Tried other VST such as HAL SE and PLAY, same situation.

8. Dorico doesn’t pick up the articulation of the last note. For example, the last note of a consecutive staccato, Dorico plays sustain…

9. Until now grace notes are not able to be played in Dorico.

Suggestions:

1. Optimise the expression map function to VST plugins so that articulations can be played correctly.

2. User expression map should be saved in “Edit Expression Maps”.

3. Show actual note names but not numbers in “Add Note Event” (I guess people don’t want to spend time on calculating what number is what note on keyboard).

4. Recognise midi keyboard at any time. I found this problem since 1.0. Midi keyboard MUST be turned on and connected BEFORE the program is launched. To my knowledge Cubase doesn’t have this issue on Mac system, midi keyboard can be plugged and played at any time.

Looking forward to the next update. Keep going Dorico and the team, future is bright. :wink:

Thanks for reporting these issues. We’ll have a look at these in more detail next week.

Re: Suggestion 3: How about showing the note name followed by the MIDI number in parentheses?

One problem with note names - there are several different conventions as to whether middle C is C3, C4 or C5, and so you need to know which one your sample library uses.

Would it not be possible to make the interpretation of octave numbers a Preference setting? (I thought someone from the team had said that was under discussion.) Then showing the note and MIDI number would be possible. Or even showing the note name without the octave number in addition to the MIDI number in parentheses would be a help.

Would it be more intuitive just by using “MIDI learn” function to choose the keys?

Certainly - that’s the kind of functionality that we would be looking to add over time.

That’d be good news to all Dorico users :wink: