[1.1.30] Bugs found in latest version

Hi,

Some bugs i found in version 1.1.30 :

1. Tempo back to 120 in place of 150 (better than in previous version but not perfect yet) :
    bug_1_tempo

2. Main output “” not taken into account :
    bug_2_main_output

3. Already mentionned in another topic but with the gif, it will maybe more easy for your team to reproduce it. I’m currently able to switch to next song during a song is playing when it shouldn’t be possible :
    bug_3_next_song

4. It’s seems not possible to import two different files in two different songs with the same name of file (there is a file imported in the song but it’s not the good one, it’s the previously imported file)

5. Open a project with PGM CHG on the first song (part 1) : PGM CHG message is not send when you open the project. But the first song seems selected. The only way I have found to solve this is to change the song and go back to the first one.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Thank you. Let us go through the points.

1. I tried everything, but I cannot reproduce it. What am I missing?
  2. The “Main Audio Output” represents an audio output connection. It has a name on the left and a physical assignment on the right side. You have assigned “< nc >” for your MAIN connection. And this MAIN connection is used for the Main Audio Output channel in the Mixer. Open the “Connections” setup (File / Devices / Connections…). Select the AUDIO tab. The Output field contains the MAIN connection which is also used in the HUB. So everything’s correct.
  3. Thank you. Yes, I can confirm it. We’ll have a look.

More to come,
Michael.

Hi Spork,

Thank you for your response and support.

1. I don’t know, in my case, it’s a new projects that I have saved on my SSD. I also tried to remove songs because I firstly thinking it was due to the deletion of a song but finally not.

2. I don’t have the utility of the main output that’s why I want to disable it to avoid accidents during live events. I suppose there is one but in my case I don’t see what a main output could bring me ? So, I don’t understand why the n/c is not saved from the startup window towards the window of project (I think it’s the same thing in the connections window)

3. Thanks

1. Have you seen these two bugs that I added in my first message ?

Regards,
Guillaume

Hi,

1. Can you please give me one of your problematic project file? I just need the vlprj file.

2. Now I understand. < nc > is not working. for MAIN. Sorry. We’ll check.

3. I’ve tried to reproduce it following way. I have two files with different content but with the same name
    4.1 C:/folder_a/mywave.wav (size 10 MB) and C:/folder_b/mywave.wav (50 MB)
    4.1 Start VL, new project, select TRACKS and add an audio track
    4.2 Use Import button to import C:/folder_a/mywave.wav. Fine.
    4.3 Create a second song. Select TRACKS and add an audio track
    4.4 Use Import button to import C:/folder_b/mywave.wav. Fine.
    → What am I missing?

4. Is that an old project? It should work? Can you give us the faulty project, too?

/Michael.

Hi,

1. My project file with the problem of tempo :
    test.zip (208.6 KB)
    It’s seems to be produced when I change the tempo of second song, validate, select the first song and re-select the second song. It’s systematic with this procedure

2. Thank you, it’s not a major bug but it’s annoying to have to do it every time

3. Here the project I had the problem with :
    preparation_batterie.zip (32.0 KB)
    I can precise that my two files are stored in my OneDrive folder (in Windows 11). The name of file that I use is “Enregistrement répétition 11 décembre 2022 - Record - Basse - DI.wav”. I don’t know if it can be usefull but it’s a file exported with cubase 12.

4. The PGM CHG issue was already present in the previous version of VST Live and is still present in version 1.1.30. The project “preparation_batterie” (see previous point) has the problem. This project is created with v1.1.30 but if you need, ask me and I will provide you a project created with the previous version.

Guillaume

1. If no audio output is found or assigned, VST Live will force the best it can find, because it cannot function at all (not even MIDI) without an audio process - which is tied to the main output. Even if you select (nc) it will assign an output, and that is probably saved and restored.

2. PGM Chg: Will check!

Checked all possible actions that may lead to this, none allows for changing Songs.
Could you please let us know how you do it? That is with Actions and Shortcuts, right?

Cannot reproduce this either. When loading a project, Layers of the selected Part send all of their MIDI as programmed.

If no audio output is found or assigned, VST Live will force the best it can find, because it cannot function at all (not even MIDI) without an audio process - which is tied to the main output. Even if you select (nc) it will assign an output, and that is probably saved and restored.

I don’t understand why they are the possibility to select nc in this case. If VST live is not able to work without main output, I think, it should not possible to select this.

Checked all possible actions that may lead to this, none allows for changing Songs.
Could you please let us know how you do it? That is with Actions and Shortcuts, right?

Yes, I send midi messages from my Behringer x32 using “actions and shorcuts” (see my GIF image to see exactly the commands that I send). First, I play the first song by sendind midi message. Next, I send midi message to go to the next song (the bug is here). The next messages to go to “battez-vous” song are correctly blocked.

Cannot reproduce this either. When loading a project, Layers of the selected Part send all of their MIDI as programmed.

For the PGM CHG I can add to my comments that it’s when I open the first time VST Live, then I select the project to open from the startup window and after the project is opened but my X32 seems don’t received any midi command. When I select manually other song and go back to the first, it works. Unfortunatly, I can’t open the midi monitor windows to confirm that because it’s when I open the project :confused:

Sure, sorry about that. You may just mute that channel.

Cannot reproduce, sorry. There is explicit provision in the code to prevent that from happening. But that doesn’t mean we don’t beleive you, just don’t see how you can acheive this. Will check with another device.

Yes, that’s exactly what I did, and it does send PGM CHG and controllers etc. when loading is finished just like when you select a Part manually. No idea…would it also happen with a new project saved with this version?

I just did a new test : I can also go to previous song (only 1 time when I play a song). It’s not linked to the first song, I can reproduce this on any songs (always 1 time, for actions “next songs” and “previous song”). If I stop playing the song, I can redo a next song action the next time I replay the song.

I don’t know if it can help you but you can see here the actions and shortcut that I updated compared to the default values of VSTL :

Could it be linked to a initialisation problem in VSTL ? I don’t know but if messages are correctly sent, could it be an order of initialisation problem for example (for example, the messages is sent before that my X32 is initialized in VSTL ?

Just another question to be sure I correctly understand. If it’s mandatory to have a main output, does this mean that if I don’t need main output, if I have 32 outputs on my hardware, I can only really use 30 outputs ? Actually, I don’t need of all my outputs but if the response is yes, I don’t find it very practical.

The response is yes. As long as you don’t send anything to the main output, you can use it elsewhere in addition. I don’t quite see your usecase as of now, the only thing that would theoretically make sense would be MIDI in to physical MIDI out (not plugins), and absolutely nothing else. But for proper timing, MIDI events are processd through audio. Also transport would not work at all. We consider this too rare a case (and confusing for those who struggle to find their signals) that we should change this, it lies in the fundamentals of the engine.
But of course we can avoid to show (nc) if there is indeed a connection.

Ok thank you for your response. I don’t sure that I correctly understand all things (my english is probably not perfect, sorry for that) but let me see in the next version, it’s already a little more clear for now :+1:.

Did the information I gave in the previous message to the one you answered help you to reproduce the bugs ? If no, do you need others things to be able to reproduce the two last bugs ?

How about

• start VST Live
  • new Project
  • set Layer 1 PGM CHG to 32 (or anything)
  • save, close VST Live
  • open VST LIve
  • select saved project
    Here, the program change is sent.
    For you?
    If it is only happens with a specific project, as always we are grateful to have it to examine (just the .vlprj file, no audio etc needed), thanks.

Just to be absolutely clear: you can select a different Song at any time, but not when transport is started. Still cannot reproduce it when the green Play button is active, may have to test with a different interface but that makes no sense either. But who knows.

I tried using your reproduce step but seems not working for me :frowning: :

• start VST Live
  • new Project
  • set Layer 1 PGM CHG to 10 on output channel 2
  • save, close VST Live
  • open VST LIve
  • select saved project

“Snippets” in my x32 not changed :frowning:

EDIT: the project of test if you need :
test_pgm_chg.zip (12.2 KB)

Yes, I understand and it’s clear for me but the problem is that I’m currently able to do that when the green Play button is active. The risk is to press next or previous during a live event without wanting it and that it goes to the next song when I should have stopped playing music from VSTL before. I also think that I found the bug by chance by making a mistake at the base but now that I know this, I’m stressed to use this in live context.

If it can help, the configuration of my assign button in my x32 compact (for button 2 to 8, it’s the same configuration, just increment the value of 1 for every button) :

You are correct, sorry. Was mistaken, for hardware outputs it does not initially send the program change (or other like controller map etc), as opposed to plugins which do get the MIDI commands. My bad. Will of course fix. As you pointed out, the workaround is to once select another Part and back once after project was loaded.

Mysterious…Will check again, thanks.

Great news ! Happy to see that you are able to reproduce the issue, thank you !

Ok thank you

I did additional tests for the bug that allows me to change songs when the song is playing :
First thing, it’s seems not linked to my MIDI message because I’m also able to go to the next song with the shortcut of my keyboard.
Second thing : when I go to the next song when the first one is playing, if I stop the song and try to apply the shortcut again (or the midi message, the behavior is the same), the shortcut doesn’t work at all (it should work here because the transport part is in stop state). The workaround to retablish the fonction of the shortcut is to select another song with a clic of mouse. This seems to reinitialize the shortcut and after that I’m again able to reproduce the same bug with the shortcut.

I’m also a developer in everyday life and this makes me think that there would be a variable that might be initialized with the mouse click on a song and not when the shortcut (or MIDI message) is called.
What do you think ? Does that seem possible to you ? Can you check it please ?