1.1.73 - Wrtiting Midi

Hi,
I don’t know if this topic has already been mentioned, but writing midi in VL is very fiddly.
In the standard setting of a new midi track everything seems ok.
As I change the grid to 1/16, for example and change the view a little bit, there are some issues:

1. The cursor ( :pen:) is too imprecise. The note does not appear at the tip of the pen, but 2 tones above.
  2. When writing a midi note by mouse click, the note length is sometimes exactly in the grid (e.g. 1/16), but sometimes it is longer, e.g. 3/16 - then it’s not possible to shorten the note by holding and dragging the cursor.
  3. Subsequent editing of the length of an existing note does not work (if it does, how?)
    The only way I found is to change the values ​​in the grid above:
    midiediting
    If I change one of these values, e.g. End:0002.1.1.000 to 0003.1.1.000, only random stuff is happening. Sometimes the note just disappears but it never does what you want it to. :crazy_face:

A side question: If I play a song and pause in the middle of a midi note, is it possible that the note will play again if I continue the song at the same point?

I hope that the midi tracks will be further developed, similar to Cubase, to make the workflow more fun.

Thanks in advance to VL team and community - VL is growing and it’s getting better with each Update!

Pat

Implemented with the next version.

1 Like

Hi @musicullum
In the following versions (1.1.74) it worked that the midi note played again, if the song was paused and continued in the middle of the note.
At some point this function disappeared and it no longer works today (1.3.2). Do I have to set anything for this?

will check, we did not change anything deliberately.

1 Like

… it’s back working, we have fixed it and added the fix to the next update,
Michael.

1 Like

Thanks for that, but it seems that it does not work right. Now midis are played even if locator starts middle of the note (that’s what i wanted) but there are also notes played, that ended before…
Please, Can you fix that only midi notes play, which are active at the locators position?
Thank you
Patrick

Hi @PatrickT,

can you please create a simple project which shows the problem and create an archive for us (VST Live / Menu / File / Save Archive…)? Then, please send the archive to me (m.spork (at) steinberg.de) or drop it here.

Thank you very much for your help,
Michael.

PS : We are always faster to analyse the problem if can directly jump into the problem

Hi @Spork,
I restarted VL and the issue disappeared. In 2 hours of writing midi, i didn’t have any problems anymore.

I’ll message here and try to rebuild in a new project, when it happens again.

Thank you!:pray: