1.1 experiences

Thanks and congratulations to the really fantastic update!
I like most the new voices, filter, and Midi-learn for commands.
These are very important improvements!

Some small things I found today:

• write: (Windows 10), selecting in the Filter dialog “only select/deselect” closes the menu - this is surely not indended? Should be kept open for further funcion selection.
  • playback: artiulations / notes with staccato: when there is a tied group of eg. a half and an eighth, the eighth with a staccato dot, a shortened eigth is played. A shortened half+eight sould be played. Seems that playback only looks at the note that carries the staccato dot, not at the “tied” real length of the note.
  • playback: a playing technique (eg. a “pizz”) on the very first note in the score will be ignored
    (both playback with default configuration)

What bothers me most now is the poor performance, when it comes to really big scores (Sibelius-XML-Imports): Hit Ctrl-A and your are doomed (to wait for minutes!), start playback is delayed 10 or more seconds after pressing space or P… etc. There is al lot of “sandclock”-waiting and “Dorico is not responding”-messages.

My wishlist now would include:

• in write mode, let me easily hide temporarily selected staves (eg. a triangle, needed only in 1 Bar in a long sinfony, kind of a hard life), for more clarity and input speed …
  • I keep dreaming of having Dorico combining for me multiple one-staff-one-voice-players, eg. Flute 1 and Flute 2, into one-staff-multiple-voices in engrave mode. You would want a separate part printout for every single player, but a more condensed reprensentation in the score. (Which is very common, if you look at printed scores.)

Again thanks a lot for your incredible work!!!

Try duplicating your staccato expression in the expression map, then hold control and also choose legato. This will specifically create a legato+staccato expression. Notes living under slurs are translated as ‘legato’, and techniques can stack (and you can make expressions for them in the expression map). I.E. legato+staccato, legato+tenuto, etc…

Unless it has been fixed in the new release, if the staccato is the last note under a slur mark it doesn’t always get interpreted as legato. If that is still the case, you might need to tag an actual legato technique on the individual note if it’s the last note living under a slur and you want a legato+staccato interpretation.

I’ve had this happen as well if the very first note in a flow needs an expression technique. When this happens, go to the play tab and move the starting point of the note a tick or two to your right. That helps ensure that the proper key-switch gets sent before the note-on event.

Keep in mind that the Halion/HSO instruments only contain a single, uniform sampling of staccato. That is, all notes marked staccato will play back identically, irrespective of the notated duration, This is in fact the norm with sample libraries, although you will see some exceptions in the full VSL libraries…

Re. your wishlist, hiding of staves is automatic (although greater manual control could be useful) but your 2nd wish is one that pops up on this forum every week, and while the team has reassured us that the foundation for achieving this is in place, I think it’s (more than) reasonable to assume that implementing it will still take some time. But when the day arrives it will be worth celebrating! :slight_smile:

I’m afraid that’s not how menus work – when you execute a command, the menu closes. I don’t think there’s anything we can reasonably do about this. Perhaps consider assigning keyboard shortcuts to these functions if you find yourself switching between them a lot?

Could you please send me by email some projects that you find particularly troublesome? My email address is d dot spreadbury at steinberg dot de. Although we have looked at a lot of large projects, we tend to find new and interesting performance bottlenecks in each project we see, so it is very helpful to have this test data. If you could let me know which operations you find particularly slow in each project, that would be useful information to have.

I have also sent a couple of files to Paul Walmsley at his request for this issue as well. Quick question to taguluche though: are you also on a Windows system? It seems that the people who experience this are not on a Mac.

Its about hiding staves in write mode, not in engrave mode, where things are as you say.

And I think, this could be a “killer feature” - only a program that separates “write” from “engrave” could do this…

yes, it’s windows 10/64 prof.

Paul Walmsley found what is wrong and has a temporary solution: