1.1 Playback problem.

I’m experiencing the same thing (1.1 on 10.12.5 - high horsepower iMac).

Unable to reproduce reliably. At first I thought it was only when I failed to use Num. to move Playback head to start of score. (Now it plays from start regardless of whether I do so or not: could that be related?)

Steinberg Staff - please say if that diagnostic zip would help at all… small score.

Good luck!

Unfortuanetly, in that case the diagnostic doesn’t help us.

And as you see yourself, it’s so difficult to reproduce reliably. Sometimes I have it stopping on every play, but then also times where it runs for hours without a glitch.

And when you attach a debugger it won’t happen anymore at all…really difficult to track down.

Ulf,

Got it. Of course. Though happy to ‘help’ if I can.

Until now, it always works as intended after a relaunch.

I have been trying to see whether it may be associated with moving/repositioning the manuscript within the window, or other window adjustments such that the screen redraw/refresh, or pointers thereto, get confused?

Good luck. (It’s not going to put me off, BTW, as I know you’ll find it and fix it!)

I have to take that back, I’m afraid: it ‘stuck’ after a hard start of my computer, so nothing else running; and a clean/fresh start of Dorico… existing composition, though (piano and trombone).

Also, that it can actually escalate - and (at least in the one piece I’m currently working on) it can render notes unelectable and the score entirely unresponsive.

Have been working on and off all day: 50% of the time (that is one session in two) I have to restart Dorico because I run into this.

I get more Stops than Jerks.

If I continue instead of relaunching, then notes become unelectable and nothing else works.

Isn’t this a priority?

Could it be instrument-specific?

Good luck and thanks for investigating!

Three questions on this, if I may:

1 - is it only a phenomenon from version 1.1 on?
2 - what suggestions do users have for tweaking the instruments, audio engine and environment… buffer size etc?
3 - is it known whether this happens only for certain instruments (and not others)?

Thanks!

I find that the playback line works most/all the time if the full score (vertical) is visible on screen. If zoomed in then the playback line gets stuck sometimes. Maybe it’s happening when processing notes off screen (like it stops that process if it doesn’t need to display the data). Just a thought.

But dragging the screen around always unsticks the playback line and it catches up.

Thanks, @dbudde!

I’ll give that a try. It also happens for me whether or not the Playback head (and hence the notes) is/are/(supposed to be) visible.

I almost always have the score zoomed.

Shall experiment with Gallery vs Page view; is that what you mean by ‘vertical’?

Does dragging the score around or resizing the entire Dorico window work for you, please?

If you’re right as to the solution, doesn’t it suggest a possible cause: window refresh code?

Had it stick on first opening a score today.

Already zoomed to 200%.

Dragging the score itself (white centre on light blue, just to be clear) did nothing to fix it.

Switching into Engrave mode, then immediately back to Write did fix it. (Thanks Daniel!)

I could live with doing that all the time (I think!); but what’s of greater concern is that once I’ve had a ‘stick’, then I usually have to relaunch Dorico because most other operations become impossible… I can no longer select or deselect notes, neither Escape ‘resets’ things; nor Space stops the Playback and I can’t get back to a given point in the score.

Yes, by vertical I mean galley view zoomed to fit. Dragging the screen always fixes it for me.

Thanks.

Have had it numerous times; switching modes so far has always fixed it; dragging doesn’t. Interesting.

When I say drag, I mean two fingers on the track pad and move the score around on the screen. Is that what you mean?

Yes, dbudde - except I’m using a mouse. Its pointer turns into a hand. Drag accordingly.

Good to know it works for you :slight_smile: Thanks!

Just also had a case where it froze Dorico entirely. Had to Force Quit; then relaunch twice to get sound back.

I believe that may be because I didn’t first pause the Playback head.

Suggest it’s advisable to do so before the ‘Switch-between-Modes’ workaround!

Hope that’s helpful?

I’m running windows 8. With 1.1, the screen will often scroll along with the music, but just as often the screen stops scrolling while the music continues on past the current page. I’d say it’s about 50/50.

I have quite a few flows in my project, but only one flow is enabled at a time, and each flow has one instrument and is no longer than 24 bars.

Get’s stuck for me on W10 too. Only started the trial yesterday, but both (simple) scores created give same result.

Paul

Could this be both versions, then, Mac and Windows?

I’ve found that the only reliable (so far) workaround is to stop playback (even when it’s not visible), which is important to prevent further degradation or freezes; then switch Modes - e.g. to Engrave and back to Write.

I also find that in 1.1 it is stuck more often than 1.0 (am on a 2015 MacBook Pro 13)

In 1.0, I used to just move the page manually by either grabbing it or using vertical/horizontal scroll bar.
Now with 1.1 it does NOT recover (meaning reappear, move again etc.) when moving the page.

My debugging effort showed that it happen more often as the tempo increases, so are the number of events on the score.

Hopefully this help

For me, it’s apparently completely random and can happen at any time in the same score, which would suggest it doesn’t follow concentration of notes etc. But of course that could be atypical :slight_smile: