10.0.40 can't load VST3 plug-ins anymore (Mac)

Since I installed the X-mas gift SL 10.0.40 (340) the app cannot load VST3 plug-ins anymore, in both native and Rosetta mode. The lists of plug-ins (by category and by vendor) are empty. It doesn’t help to re-scan the VST3 plug-ins folder or to set the VST3 path correctly in the preferences.

I winged the app and reinstalled the previous version (339) and now that one had the same problem. In native mode. Switched to Rosetta and there were the VST3 plug-ins again to use.

Reinstalled 10.0.40 (340) , run it in Rosetta mode and the plug-ins where there. Changed to native mode and the plug-ins were gone again; applied re-scan VST folder - no plug-ins. Back to Rosetta mode - no plugs this time. Set the correct path to no avail.

So, suddenly my SL10 cannot use VST3 plug-ins anymore. It’s like it doesn’t keep track of the path to the right folder (Macintosh HD>Library>Audio>Plug-Ins>VST3) even after I have set it right.

What to do? I don’t want to go back to Rosetta mode (and 10.0.40 339) since had worked in native before, I hope there’s a better solution.

Where is the prefs file if I wan’t to delete it?

Anybody that has a solution or can tell where SpectraLayers puts its preferences file?

(user) Library > Preferences > com.steinberg.SpectraLayers 10.0.plist

Thanks thomasharsem!
Unfortunately it didn’t help to throw away the prefs. :sleepy:

Does possibly @Robin_Lobel know what to do?

MacOS is 14.2.1.
VST3 plug-ins open without any problems in WaveLab 11.2, Cubase Pro 13.0.20 and Nuendo 12.0.70.

Hi @Marshall it sounds like when you click Rescan VSTs nothing is shown at all, nothing happens at all on screen ?
If you’re pretty sure about the bath set in Preferences > System > VST3 Path, can you please do a Rescan VSTs, then click Help > Support Info > Logs Folder, and upload here or in PM or to contact [at] divideframe (dot) com your latest log file, which should contain a line like this:

11:28:19.515 4580 INFO  scanning VST3 plugins... (52 files)
11:28:40.283 4580 INFO  VST3 scan done

Also, in your System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy you can give SpectraLayers the Full Disk Access, this could probably help.

Hi Robin, thanks for your answering!
I gave SL full disk access in Security & Privacy and restarted but it didn’t change anything.
I also set the path in Preferences (for the nth time…) and did a rescan to no help.
When I do a rescan I can see the scanning taking place along with the progress bar but the result is there are no plug-ins to be seen.
I then checked the log file (.txt) via the Help menu - and the diagnostics file (vst3effectsvalidator.ips) as well. I will send them both to you.

In the diagnostics file I can se this:

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        0

Exception Type:        EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Termination Reason:    Namespace DYLD, Code 1 Library missing
Library not loaded: @rpath/QtWidgets.framework/Versions/A/QtWidgets
Referenced from: <53175C8B-A498-3B2F-BC50-A44E4BBDD1F0> /Applications/SpectraLayers 10.app/Contents/Plugins/Process/vst3effectsvalidator
Reason: tried: '/Applications/SpectraLayers 10.app/Contents/Plugins/Process/../Frameworks/QtWidgets.framework/Versions/A/QtWidgets' (no such file), '/Applications/SpectraLayers 10.app/Contents/Plugins/Process/../Frameworks/QtWidgets.framework/Versions/A/QtWidgets' (no such file), '/System/Library/Frameworks/QtWidgets.framework/Versions/A/QtWidgets' (no such file, not in dyld cache)
(terminated at launch; ignore backtrace)

I guess this could be a clue?

Yes that’s indeed a clue, specially because that crash is coming from /Applications/SpectraLayers 10.app/Contents/Plugins/Process/vst3effectsvalidator

Meaning the external utility app dedicated to validate vst3 plugins is crashing, hence it can’t report to SpectraLayers. Even though I can’t repro the issue I think I can see why, this will hopefully be fixed in the next update. I’ll send you a new build in the coming days to confirm.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s very kind of you.

@Marshall I just sent you a private message

1 Like

@Robin_Lobel
Thank you Sir, it works wonderfully now! :smiley: :pray:

1 Like