10.0.40 Update

I’ve only recently come back to Cubase and love it. All other DAWs gave me serious issues that didn’t fit my workflow and hardware.

REAPER was awful with my Waves plugins, the UI would stutter and controls wouldn’t automate. Plus a lot of tools that I expect in an audio suite were community driven, and thus hit and miss as to their operation.

I’d find myself setting up items and customising the software more than actually making music!

Studio One couldn’t process SysEx (needed for control of my synths) or Poly Aftertouch (For V Drums). And Mackie support was limited to only 8 parameters.

Logic was tying me in to Mac eco system when the hardware choices made sticking wIth it hard. But the big issue I had with Logic was running external MIDI gear, you couldn’t select MIDI port on a per-track basis. Only by channel (1-16) basis.

Then you have the others such as Ableton that doesn’t have any kind of vocal takes system
and lacks depth for mixing.

Cubase has lead to me being extremely more creative and I love it. I’ve embraced so many of its features and they’re paying dividends.

I don’t know what it does different but everything mixes and sounds so damn good.

I get that doesn’t echo everyone’s experience, but I guess the point is that although the grass looks greener with others DAWs, they all got their problems.

Stienberg at least engage quite well with their users, coming from Apple/Logic background this is totally foreign to have such engagement. With Logic you haven’t a clue when an update is coming, what may be in it, whether they acknowledge bugs OR if you have to move OS.

For me, Its how good your resulting music sounds as to how you judge each DAW. It’s impossible to compare on features alone.

What do you use now?

What do you use now?

I still use Cubase 10 at the moment but have Studio One 4 Pro on demo as well as Reaper. I want to get used to how they behave and interact before making the final jump. For me ARA2 integration and reliability is key, as well as how well the DAW gets on with UAD, Izotope, NI, Arturia and various other VST’s I use all the time. I’m impressed with Studio One development methodology and how they’re moving forward as well as the quality. It’s hard for humans to make fundamental switches, but there comes a point… As I said, Cubase may be perfect for some, but for me and what I want, it doesn’t do it anymore and hasn’t for a few years now.

I mean, it appears in the news feed when you launch Cubase, so it’s not like they’re hiding it. They just didn’t create a new post here for the release (which is weird admittedly). When you think of the percentage of Cubase users that visit these forums versus the percentage that launch the application and will see it on the news feed, I think the former is quite small in comparison.

I mean, it appears in the news feed when you launch Cubase, so it’s not like they’re hiding it.

Unless you have deactivated the Hub (Prefs/General/Use Hub) as some people do.

I never use the hub. I prefer email notifications for updates or a notification on the forum from Steinberg.

Perhaps, but then Steinberg should take the issue of fixing them more seriously. It’s clearly an amazing piece of software, but maintenance updates and whole version releases fly by with serious bugs left unaddressed.

REAPER dwarfs what PLE can do, Everything is an action that can be added to and placed into scripts/buttons/user menus. You can even create an action that can be used within a parent action.

That’s not knocking Cubase in anyway, but to claim no other DAW can do what PLE can, isn’t the whole truth (IMO).

hi Rudi:

you wrote:
"after reinstalling Cubase from a freshly downloaded file, still no result. Windows settings were all good. Then I started looking at the files I used. I used mostly Symphonic Orchestra and I could not play any of the samples.
Turns out that the update destroyed the file with the locations settings for Symphonic Orchestra. After relocating them and a restart of Cubase everything works again.
Very sloppy update. Not amused.
[/quote]

I’ve had exactly the same problem. Could you please let me know how you ‘relocated’ the locations settings for Symphonic Orchestra? Thanks!

Been really busy with lots of stuff including looking for a new job.
And just noticed that there is this maintenance update, great :smiley:

Reading the release notes,I had noticed that a lot issues has been fixed, great stuff. Still loads more to do I guess,but then I’m no expert

Have to find some spare time ,and start exploring again.Find my mojo and stuff, and make actual music made with Cubase,lol

+1 - I couldn’t agree more.
Whoever praises alternatives, certainly isn’t using a DAW as I do. Despite Cubase’s shortcomings and bugs (which are undeniable), I would prefer NONE of the alternatives so far, by quite a margin, and couldn’t care less for them.

In my line of work, I have to be familiar with all the major DAWs but for my own music projects, I choose to use Cubase. Just a couple of random notes to add to yours: Studio One lacks a drum editor on par with the one in Cubase. In Logic, trying to use midi-controlled effects is extremely complicated compared to Cubase.

I’d be pretty surprised if it didn’t work with Studio One because Presonus worked with Celemony to create it. I don’t think it really needs documentation at this time - there would be very little in there. And to be fair, Steinberg have produced a document of what isn’t working in ARA2.

It’s got a way to go yet, but I’m happy that they’re working towards implementing it… and the latest update is already much better than the initial implementation only a few months ago.

I am surprised that this updated isn’t mentioned on the front page that still shows a previous update or that users didn’t get a mail confirmation. I read it this morning on facebook from a user who mentioned this.

So you’re saying that because another company has got together with another company and made a good fist of delivering a high positive impact and superb integration and that loads of Users are delighted with the Melodyne and Revoice Pro they can use seamlessly, that gives Steinberg an excuse to deliver a very poor attempt? That doesn’t make any sense, whatsoever.

If you bought a chair that advertised and made much of it’s outstanding 4 legs and then it arrived at your house, after you paid for it, with two and a half legs instead of the 4 that were advertised and it was made of cardboard instead of wood, you’d be happy with that because they at least ‘had a go" and then eventually provided a bit of a document to tell you which leg was incomplete and missing and that it’s made of cardboard?’ :laughing:

Presonus have been working/supporting ARA for 7-8 years, Steinberg are 2-3 months in to Cubase’s ARA support. It’s nothing to do with ‘attempts’… it’s just progression… All DAWs have had their own struggles with ARA2 integration, you’re currently experiencing Steinbergs. Steinberg want this nailed 100% as much as the rest of us.
As for documentation, Melodyne offer documentation on how to use their products via ARA2 in Cubase/Nuendo… It’s not a Steinberg product, remember.

Give them a few years to implement and refine ARA2 integration, that would be reasonable. IMHO

For me, your first sentence said it all.

At last, someone with a sense of humour!

Well, don’t forget that Cubase had it’s own Variaudio developing over that time too. With ARA2 ‘slooowwwly’ coming to Cubae you get the benefits of both… eventually… if you don’t jump ship. (lol)

But, really it comes down to what works for you personally… I’m happy with Cubase to see ARA2 develop over time… But then i’ve came FROM Studio One so have a different perspective and list of requirements than yourself. MIDI SysEx and Mackie Support being a big requirement for me.