10.5 Pro peak average load and disk usage after a few seconds Mac

Hi!

I just upgraded to 10.5 Pro from LE 10. LE ran great. No problems whatsoever. I could have quite a few tracks going at the same time…vst’s etc… No issues.

After upgrading to 10.5 Pro though I hit peak disk usage and average load within a few seconds of just playing a track. Either with Helix native loaded or any VST…take your pick.

I’ve gone through all the optimization docs I could find and to no avail so I’m starting to hit a roadblock.

I have a mackbook pro 2015 running Catalina.
2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16GB
1600 Mhz DDr3
AMD Radeon R9 M270X 2GB
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

I turned off all the retrospective recording. Adjusted buffer sizes, adjusted ASIO settings…no luck.

Any ideas? I can’t really play or recording anything more than 10-20 seconds max before things hit their peak and craps out. Not sure what’s processing in Pro vs LE or if it’s a 10 vs 10.5 issue.

Thanks a bunch! :smiley:

Try turning off all virtual cores on your cpu via your system’s BIOS, and give it another try.

There is a well known issue with hyperthreading on numerous hardware profiles on both windows and Mac OS, and for many the workaround is disabling hyperthreading. The symptoms of the issue match yours.

Also of course make sure 64 bit processing is enabled, and ASIO guard is on. See if any of that helps.

I ran into a similar problem recently with 10.5 Pro on Mojave relating to real-time peaks when initiating a recording; thread here: https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=286&t=193965&p=1024768#p1024768

Not much I could do about it besides leaving Monitoring disabled when hitting Record and turning off the notification of Audio Dropouts

k! Thanks fellas!

I’ll give those a shot tonight if i get some time!

Mmmm… I just updated to Catalina 10.15.6, and it seems…better?

I’ll have to do some more tests tomorrow to be sure. I didn’t change anything else, but i left it play on cycle mode for 5 minutes and it didn’t spike which it couldn’t do more than 10-20 seconds max before.

…interesting anyway. Maybe it’s just a fluke. Maybe it’s ok.

ok! Not sure if this will help anyone or not, but I can confirm that updating Catalina to 10.15.6 made Cubase run TONS better for me. Perhaps it was part of the stability issues fix.

ok i lied. …ugh…this is so frustrating. I was fine, but for whatever reason today it’s back to spiking. I can open the project that was totally fine and it’s spiking after a few seconds again.

No clue why since nothing has changed… I’m ready to table flip though.

Did you try disabling hyperthreading? If not, give that a shot. What’s happening to you is identical, so far, to what I experienced, including the issue seeming to vanish then come back.

i haven’t tried disabling that yet. I may try in a bit

I’m actually wondering since this issue seems to be hit and miss with people, what 3rd party plugins and interfaces are those of us with issues using?

Mine:
apollo twinx + helix
helix native
Kontakt
EZ drummer
Soothe
UAD plugins

Maybe I should try disabling all those, and re-enabling one by one until things break down again. I mean nothing should cause problems if it’s not loaded into a track, but mmm maybe? Kontakt definitely makes it spike on it’s own. Helix Native seems hit and miss or random.

Ok, so! round 25.

I just set my ASIO-Guard level to high on this problem file, and it’s not peaking …yet. It’s come pretty close though! Lol, but …whatever. As long as it doesn’t crap out. I’ll keep an eye on things and see if that stays consistent.

Further investigations: When I’m using an external monitor I have to keep cubases UI small. I would have thought a 2015 macbook pro could handle it, but I guess not. Anyway, I haven’t had any real issues since changing the above. Not sure if that helps anyone else, but I seem to be ok as long as I keep the guard level high and my UI no bigger than half screen size on my external monitor.

Ok!

soooo… I actually figured out my problem. It was nothing to do with cubase loool

My laptop just needed it’s battery replaced on my laptop. It’s running really smooth now. Posting this here just in case it helps someone else.