10+TB external HDD recommendation

Hi folks,

I am planning to buy a 10+TB external HDD. If the hard rotation speed is 5400 rpm, does it matter if it supports ( has) USB 3.0. Does it make a big different if I buy a 7200 rpm?

I will be loading mostly single sample files via media bay ( not loading VST samples) from this.
Do you guys recommend any specific reliable ones. I don’t have good experience with Seagate.

Any help would be appreciated.

CS

hello,

if you load samples for a big template that you load for every project, you should favor speed.
enclosure and HD speed do makes differences. i suffered most from bad usb enclosure than disk speed ( mother board usb chipsets can be the culprit also )

if it’s for the occasionnal sample / loop / library loading, no it doesn’t really matter.

but stay away from cold storage HDD, i have one for backups ( seagate 10TB) and it’s incredibly slow.

but the fastest is network connection, so a network hard drive or nas will be wayyyy faster.
Also, with a little second hand NAS from 4 or 5 years (synology for exemple ) with 2 HDD of smaller capacity maybe cheaper

Recommendation for External 10 TB SSD: WD 10TB My Book Desktop External Hard Drive, USB 3.0
Although 7200 RPM hard drive is faster than 5400 RPM drives, 5400 RPM drives offer an average of 100 MB/s read and write speeds while 7200 RPM drives deliver an average of 120 MB/s read and write speeds. … However, if you’re simply looking to store files, then you should consider the 5400 RPM drives. Otherwise, go fo 7200 RPM drives
And Does 3.0 support matter? Yes!
USB 1.1 Up to 12 Mbits/sec UltraATA 100 Up to 100 Mbytes/sec
USB 2.0 Up to 480 Mbits/sec Serial ATA 1.5 Up to 1.5 Gbits/sec
USB 3.0 Up to 4.8 Gbits/sec SATA 3.0 Up to 3.0 Gbits/sec
SATA 6.0 Up to 6.0 Gbits/sec