100% CPU Usage when mixdown

@Martin.Jirsak can you report that to the Devs perhaps?

Thank you!

For know the solution is mixdown to your session sample rates and convert to desired sample rates using 3rd party software such as Voxengo r8brain to avoid your cpu usage hit 100% during mixdown.

Good find. I saw this note after doing some testing on my system yesterday while doing a mix because I had not been paying attention to CPU usage while exporting, but it had seemed to me that mixes were taking longer than Iā€™d remembered with Cubase 11 (I had not gone back to Cubase 11 to test since, despite issues Iā€™ve encountered, I have been using Cubase 12 consistently in my projects since 12.0.0, and Iā€™ve updated consistently when the maintenance releases come out).

My projects are generally at 96 kHz, but the most common exports I do, due to doing multiple mixes in the course of getting to a final mix, are for 44.1 kHz, with both a WAV file (for listening on multiple devices) and a 320 kbps MP3 file (for car listening tests as my car will only play MP3 files, not WAV). So yesterday I was doing this sort of mixdown, and I took snapshots of Task Managerā€™s performance tab and processes tab during the export:

After that, I went back to the project and, for comparison, took similar screen shots when the project was actually playing back:

Mind you, I was not clear that this was necessarily a problem. In particular, I do not use real time exporting, so, the system could be doing more work to try to get a mix done faster than it could in real time (and my system is far from state-of-the-art ā€“ I think I built it in 2014). But it was interesting to observe the difference. And I actually wish it could use more of the CPU power to avoid glitches (and/or dropouts) on playing back the project. (While this project was not dropping out at this point, Iā€™d done a lot of rendering submixes to audio to prevent that, but most times Iā€™ve noticed dropouts and other glitches CPU use is not maxed out.)

Same here, I just noticed it, because exporting really took way longer than in the past and my PC was running like a jet fighter.

Look at your single core performance. Usually when having glitches and drop outs the 1. CPU is maxed out, even if the overall CPU usage is about 50%. At least its the case here. I am running Cubase on a 5 year old system (i7 8700k) and I donā€™t have any issues of this kind, until my CPU1 goes up to 100%. In that case the overall usage shows around 45-55%.

But thanks for trying to reproduce the issue on your system.

2 Likes

My PC is only an i7 5820k (3.30 GHz, 6 cores, 12 total threads). Itā€™s been a while since Iā€™ve looked into this issue, using all the usual tools like LatencyMon, so I donā€™t think Iā€™ve checked what is happening with Cubase 12 on this front. However, my recollection from a long period of troubleshooting this issue (both on SONAR and then Cubase) was that none of the CPUs seemed to be maxing out. Iā€™d even been looking into it at one point with the main Cakewalk developer, supplying him all kinds of detailed information (they have lots of configuration options that optimize things in different ways), but ultimately it was a mystery.

My main suspicion (partly from LatencyMon results) had been something to do with my Nvidia video card, but Iā€™d also tried a bunch of things on that front (though not any other video cards), and Iā€™ve also tried many other system optimizations over time, some which seemed to help (in some cases only temporarily) and some that didnā€™t make a difference or made things worse. It could also be just a combination of things on my system, which cannot be a dedicated DAW.

At this point, Iā€™m mostly just learning to live with it (i.e. with workarounds like the aforementioned submix renders, freezing instruments with FX, etc.) until such time as I can afford to do a significant PC upgrade.

1 Like

So, is this reported to Steinberg already? If not it may never come to their attention because the forum topics are not always looked at. If someone with a C12 license could open an official support ticket (as I used to do it for all of my findings)? Thanks a lot!

I did already and posted all the details I posted here in this thread!

1 Like

Unfortunately, I cant create a support ticket because Im in Malaysia and the website ask me to contact our distributor here directly. I really dont undestand why they would do such thing. Is there any way else. Would they entertain an email?

Its okay, I already opened a ticket :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just think if more user created the ticket for the same issue they will notice it more and we will get a faster fix.

1 Like

Probably yes :thinking:
You could try to login through a european VPN, perhaps? I see no problem why that should not work.
I donā€™t really understand, why people from outside the EU are forced to contact their distributor.

Quick heads up: this issue has been identified and the fix will be part of the upcoming 12.0.50 update. Thanks for your reports!
Cheers
Chriss

8 Likes

Thank you very much for communicating this to us!
Please more of it if possible :slight_smile:

6 Likes

My congratulations and honor to all who cracked this puzzle. Steinberg can be proud of such a community. :+1:
I personally find feedback like the one above motivating and appreciate it as a sign of respect. Because nothing jeopardizes dedication as much as a lack of attention.

6 Likes

Indeed, problem solving like this is what makes this community a special place!

And, unlike my previous post in this thread, it is a bug rather than a feature after all, so I stand corrected :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just tested it in 12.0.50 and it works properly now !
Could you guys confirm ?

3 Likes

Yayyy! Been spending a lot of time lately staring at that rendering progress dialog, looking forward to getting that time back - will be installing 12.0.50 later today and will report back if it didnā€™t fix it in my case!

yeap its been fixed in 12.0.50 . just tested on my end here.

Yeah, looks better here, too (going from 96 kHz project to 44.1 kHz mix for both CD-quality WAV and 192 kbps MP3 in one export).