11.0.41 update stopped me being able to load saved projects

Cubase 11 Pro on Windows 10. Anyone had similar? Got any solutions?
I was a bit slow in installing the update (and wish I’d never bothered!). I managed to get W10 to do a system restore which took me back to Cubase 11.0.30 and this works again, but for a nasty few hours I thought I’d lost 3 years work as 11.0.41 wouldn’t load my backups either. It would save a new project and re-load that fine but nothing old.
I raised a support ticket but still waiting …

Hi,

Could you be more specific, please?

What exactly does it mean, you are not able to load a project? Does any message appear? Are your plug-ins up to date, please?

On Windows, you can use the Windows uninstaller to uninstall the 11.0.41 update.

Hi Martin,
When I tried to load a saved .cpr file Cubase just hung (stopped responding). With some files the ‘progress’ bar would get to a certain percentage and it would then hang. With other files it just hung from the start. I gave it a good few minutes to see if it was just being slower than usual.

So, if I’d uninstalled via Windows Apps it would have gone back to 11.0.30? That’s a useful tip - thank you.

Hi,

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Once Cubase becomes frozen, open the Task Manager, right-click to Cubase and click to Generate DMP file.

If this doesn’t work, use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your harddisk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behavior (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 11:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase11

Nuendo 11:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo10

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exeptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Yes.

Hi Martin,

Thanks for such a detailed response. To minimise my risk, I’ve spent a couple of days reviewing everything and saving .mid files of important things and printing out scores as .pdf. I’ve now taken the bull by the horns and reinstalled the update to 11.0.41 and it all works normally!!!

I’m relieved, but also puzzled. As I can’t find any other reports of a similar problem, I’m guessing that it’s my machine that messed up. It has had some mild USB problems and occassional problems accessing the internet. But it’s a really fast (slightly older) i7 (8400k). Do you have any advice there? Should I re-install Windows 10 perhaps?

Thanks very much for your kind advice.

Chris

Hi,

I’m glad you sorted it out.

It might happen, some permissions were touched, during some Windows update. Once you reinstalled Cubase, Cubase got the permissions back. Or something in the Windows registry happened. Who knows…

I wouldn’t reinstall the whole system at this moment. You know… Never touch working system. :wink:

Thanks very much for your advice. I’ll let sleeping dogs lie!

Best wishes,

Chris

1 Like