13.0.40 crashing when hitting F3 MBP M1 Max

Installed the update today and have had 3 crashes when trying to mix a project. Hitting F3 to open and close mixer has done it twice???

MBP M1 Max 64GB RAM ,Sonoma 14.4.1 first crashes I’ve had ever on this machine.

Also it seems unless you save the .Bak file when you open after a crash it will NOT auto save from that point. I’ve just lost an hours worth with this second crash as I was working on the .Bak project I’d opened from the previous crash.

Is this normal?

Cubase 13-2024-05-29-131807.ips (310.2 KB)

Cubase 13-2024-05-29-133415.ips (342.5 KB)

Cubase 13-2024-05-29-133930.ips (288.4 KB)

and another… open project…hit F3…poof…I’m going to have to try and load the audio into Reaper to finish this…

How do we roll back to the previous version by the way?
Cubase 13-2024-05-29-135805.ips (293.1 KB)

Hi,

Could you try in the Cubase Safe Start Mode [Disable preferences], please?

It works as expected for me here on MBP M1.

Didn’t make any difference :frowning: here’s the crash.

Cubase 13-2024-05-29-173022.ips (275.0 KB)
Cubase 13-2024-05-29-172855.ips (182.5 KB)

Hi,

Could you try to rename/remove all Cubase preferences folders, to get Cubase factory settings, please?

Cubase Preferences folders are:
Mac: ~/Library/Preferences/Cubase X
Where the X is the Cubase version (for example 13).

Can you reproduce it with any project, or only one project, please?

Would you be willing to share your project with me, please? Without the *.wav files, just the *.cpr. You can share a link via Private Message with me, to don’t share it publically. Thank you

In the meantime, I have reported the issue to Steinberg.

Btw, the crash file points to the same place as this one.

Tried that and same result. I’m on dead lines with mixes this week, how do I roll back to the previous versions? I managed to pull the audio into reaper so can start again on the mixes but it’s cost me time.

I’ve learned my lesson NOT to update when there’s work to do :frowning: The Mac has been so stable though I’ve not had a single crash through all the updates etc so I’ve been lulled into false sense of security.

M
Cubase 13-2024-05-30-111134.ips (279.0 KB)

M

I am having the same identical problem as you are. I am on an M1 running Sonoma 14.5. Hitting F3 two times automatically crashes Cubase. Quitting a cubase project automatically crashes as well. I trashed preferences. Loaded empty project file with no plugins, and it still crashes. I am trying to revert back to 13.0.30, and after installing, it still shows up as 13.0.40! This is extremely frustrating!!

Hi,

This crash is already reported to Steinberg and they are able to reproduce it.

I’m just wondering about the New Project, you mentioned. Do you create an Empty project or do you use your template, please?

You have to have any Cubase 13 Full Installer lower than 13.0.40. Then you have to delete your Cubase 13 from the Applications folder, then install the Full Installer then update to 13.0.30. If you have 13.0.40 and you try to install any lower version (13.0.30) macOS doesn’t allow this.

1 Like

Is there a work around for this? not being easily able to roll back makes this quite an issue for all of us with this problem.

If we can keep working and avoid certain workflows that would be good.

M

Hi,

We are still investigating the core of the crash. Therefore there is not a known workaround so far. Sorry.

Hmmm, well it’s the same on Windows I can confirm today. I installed the update on my 7950x -Windows 11 machine and it’s as unstable as the Mac :frowning:
Can’t beleive BETA let this through?

I presume rolling back on windows will be easier than the convoluted process on MacOS?

Any idea hen a hot fix is coming, this is a showstopper, I can’t use this in front of clients.

M

Hi,

Could you please attach the DMP file? So far we got all crashes from Mac only, so it would be great to get one from Windows to see, if it’s really the same issue. Thank you.

User the default system uninstaller to uninstall the 13.0.40 update.

Can you try with your midi controller/s unplugged? There was a similar issue related to that. In my case it was Komplete Keyboard MK2

I had nothing connected at all on the MBP and on the windows machine I only had my UR22-c connected at the time. So it’s not that unfortunatley.

M

Cubase 13.0.40 64bit2024.6.2 17.48.07.342.dmp (3.9 MB)
Cubase 13.0.40 64bit2024.6.2 17.35.57.928.dmp (3.8 MB)
Cubase 13.0.40 64bit2024.6.2 16.44.51.926.dmp (3.3 MB)

Hi,

When did these crashes happen, please? What were the last steps? Thank you.

In fact, they look very similar to the crashed we have on Mac.

Reported to Steinberg.

Hi @Norbury_Brook ,

We have found the core of the crash. Cubase crashes, if there is Meter Bridge enabled, the Wave-view is enabled on the Meter Bridge and you close the MixConsole.

As a workaround (for now), disable the Meter Bridge, or switch the view of the Meter Bridge to PPM, please.

@Martin.Jirsak brilliant :slight_smile: good news.

Hope it’s a simple fix for you guys.

M

1 Like