15-tet in Dorico

Seems like it should just work, but I’m running into snags. I’m modeling things after Easley Blackwood. In Perspectives of New Music , Summer, 1991, Vol. 29, No. 2 (Summer, 1991), pp. 166-200, Blackwood outlines some basic theory for 15, 16, 17, and 19 equal divisions of the octave.
15-tet has the advantages of decent triads and some sevenths, but can create harmonic motion that cannot be replicated or even approximated in 12-tet; hence the appeal. The scale is bad, but I’m after the chord progressions. They sound properly for playback in most of Halion and NotePerformer. If I can make it all work.
First thing, is getting the symbol he uses for “down” to work with a sharp sign as well. The initial sharp sign doesn’t appear on the staff.
Next, according to Blackwood, in 15-tet, E and F are enharmonically the same pitch, as are B and C. Sounds nonsensical, I know, but this makes the theory for modes and such work. I don’t know how to get that to happen in Dorico.
Finally (for now, anyway), once I create one of these altered pitches, and want to select all instances of it with a pitch filter, Dorico crashes completely down out of the sky. That happens in the 24-tet example as well.
Ideas?

Can you please attach a small version of your project? Even a couple of bars should do, so we can try to figure out what is going on.

Welcome to the forum, Brent! For 15-EDO you just specify the number of steps between white notes as 3 for most of them and 0 for B-C and E-F, no problem. Then you just need the accidentals. Each accidental is defined with its pitch delta and any symbols all in the editor.

It’s not clear what you mean by “work with a sharp sign” so a small project file would explain everything. I suspect this may be involved in the crash.

This Dorico project demonstrates a chromatic scale in 15-tet using Blackwood’s accidentals:

15-tet Chromatic Scale.dorico (542.0 KB)

Does this help you?

1 Like

Hi, John, yes, that helps a great deal.
Is there a repository of these sorts of things?

Unfortunately, not that I know of.

Perhaps it’s just me, but, given the, uh, challenge I’m finding it to be to set one of these up, maybe there should be.
Steinberg? Got a spot for such things?