16 inserts per track

Have you looked at Revoice Pro 3 yet? It works very well with Cubase, other DAW’s or as a standalone and can manipulate both time and pitch

More than eight is ok, I have use for that sometimes,
however I don’t really like the unpolite tone with which people call Steinberg names and say eight is ridiculous. It’s not ridiculous.

Yes there could cases when you want to go more exotic with a special fx string.
If you want to get fancy you can still string along groups as many as you like. It’s not that hard.

A lot of people could try to use fx sends more and inserts less. This will bring more coherency to your mix and save cpu if you need it.

I could imagine more than eight with maybe a scrollbar that shows up along the inserts, or rather, shringking slots.

Not only for exotic FX, it can be basic as for rythmic stuff, in fact it depend the style of music where sound-design, modulation, “step” FX are very present, or if you are working for video and sound-design, movie, games…

The main problem is when we save those preset, some are 1 track preset and some are 2 tracks, when recalling, modify, saving them you have to be sure to select the 2 tracks groupe, a mistake is never far when you forget to select the 2 track, the risk is that you can loose half of the preset if one is selected instead of two.
So simple thing like managing preset can become a pain in some case.

Yes, to save CPU and have more “coherency”, Reverb and Delay usually are sent to Fx channel, but i think poeple asking more insert for “special” fx creation, not because they put reverb and delay on every track, but it’s good to mention it in case :wink:

I find that making extra groups just breaks the flow, its just the little thing that kills my momentum.

I really would like to lessen the amount of technical thinking when I’m creating, to make Cubase be discreet and stay out of my way so I can focus on the art. Managing mixer channels and playing plugin Tetris is not something that helps me during a creative moment. Some of us have more tolerance for it than others, that I do understand.

Each to their own, but why would you need more than 6 inserts?
If you can’t get it done with 2 or 3 plugins, you’re just stacking and tweaking fir the sake of it. Also stavking more than 4 plugs already starts to sound like mushy shite, let alone stacking 8 or nine. It’s not a strategy, it’s like, let’s add a fatnner, now lets add a reverb to get a bit less direct sound, put an eq on top to make up for the lost freqs and then another compressor to glue it back all together and then some tape, because it starts to sound really harsch and now a transient shaper because the tape made it a bit dull… :slight_smile: that’s not mixing, that’s goofing around…
I’m fine if you guys think you need more, but as long as i don’t see them and it doesn’t affect the current mixer gui. Seriously thought why that many? :slight_smile:

like stated many times, everyone’s workflow and objectives are different. sounddesign often relies on chains of plugins for unpredictable results that you later try to resample and somehow tame. it’s a legitimate technique.

and a more conservative technique, when mixing, and inserts are still not sufficient: i try three different console emulations for A/B (let’s say slate, satson and waves nls, bypassing two of them at a time to reference). followed by a MS matrixer plugin plugin before my external compressor insert, and a MS matrix after. that’s 6 pre-fader slots gone and i haven’t really done anything ‘creative’ to the channel yet.

Yeah ok, I guess if that’s how you work and you fight all those battles in a project Then you “need” a lot of slots. I don’t care if Cubase gets unlimited inserts via +1 method (last slot filled a new one appears underneath) but I don’t want 16 inserts in a scroll-over and certainly don’t want the mixer or Cubase performance to suffer because of it.
But if it makes some of the “undecided sounddesigners” happy? Why not…
It’s not for me to decide on your workflow, but I would call Satson, Waves NLS AND slate competing on channel by channel and project by project basis, the engineer having issues. But that’s just my humble opinion :slight_smile:

EQ with a Butterworth HP
EQ for broad shapes before distortion unit
Distortion Unit
Tape Emulation
Console Emulation
A Delay
A “creative” plugin like Effectrix
Maybe a tiny amount track specific chorus
One Compressor to cut a tiny amount of unwanted peaks
A compressor for the dynamic movement
Maybe a tiny amount of s widening
Maybe the track needs to be ducked by a SC compressor
Maybe a track specific reverb and not a send

and so on and so forth.

LOL, that’s crazy. That has nothing to do with a vision or sound design, that’s just keep on adding, fingers crossed, until you find something to your liking :slight_smile:

Says the big mouth man who got his ass served by Steven Slate :laughing:

You have no clue what you are talking about man.

Oh and if you think that fx like eqs, compressors, or even plugins like Effectrix deliver unpredictable results, than you are a ridiculous noob :laughing:

No one got served, actually working with Steven on something he will leverage and share soon. What’s wrong with you? How old are u? Please do use whatever you like using, I have no problem with that. I just don’t want to look at 16 inserts all the time… No one except you is talking about unpredictable results btw, freudian slip of the tongue maybe? :slight_smile:

Of course you got your arse served. You stepped in the room and said that plugins sound s.hit and then you got your pants stripped off and kicked out. You made a fool of yourself.

And there was no freudian slip, you said that a chain like this has nothing to do with vision and sounddesign, both things that depend on plans and predictability.

But all you really said is that YOU are the noob who can’t foresee the possible outcome of a chain like this and that YOU are overwhelmed by such a rather simple chain.

See, comments like this or the “plugins sound plastic disaster” tell more about YOU than anyone else. :laughing:

And it has already been suggested, that additional insert slots should be configurable, so that only people who want it get it. I would prefer this, too by the way. Adding additional slots one by one would be best. I think I never used 16 slots in a row but getting over 8 or even 6 pre fader slots is easy in my field.

You have a bit of a skewed perspective on reality. Also has it got nothing to do with this topic. But at least it’s good we agree on the +1, just out of interest, what is your field?

Peanut Gallery:

Bottom line, it’s a completly unnecessary artificial limitation, any number, even 16. It doesn’t even matter why somebody else might use a ton of plugins on one channel, that’s their business. It’s an artificial limitation that shouldn’t exist in any pro workstation and actually doesn’t exist in most of them. Any argument that ignores that very clear and simple fact is a distraction.

Inserts and sends should only be limited by how many the system can handle, not by any arbitrary numerical ceiling, and many - if not almost all? - professional audio workstations do exactly that. Arguing against that is… not logical… any way you look at it.

It’s a holdover from the old SX days that needs to just completely go away at some point… and probably will.

/Peanut Gallery

True, fully agree with you, the limitation is not needed, each to their own, as long as it doesn’t affect cosmetics, performance or workflow I’m fine with any solution

In compete fairness, I do give the Steinberg developers the benefit of the doubt and assume that they aren’t clueless, that they certainly already know that those are artificial limitations that their flagship products should probably no longer have, and are most likely already planning to get out from under those limitations at some point in the future anyway.

Developers just mostly tend not to work on end users timetables.

I for one would definitely appreciate this feature, especially as there is no multi freeze or freeze available for group tracks.

As stated already, not everyone is using Cubase for bog standard mixing purposes.

Some of us are using it for sound design and this can mean the plugins in use can often easily exceed the 6 pre fader inserts currently available.

• 1 million

idea:
let the 2 POST INSERTS untouched!
enhancement: “6 to unlimited” PRE INSERTS by > scrollbar (!)

this is possible in MixConsole/each Channel,
and this possible in Channel Setting Window !

Opinions?

C.