16th Note Beaming anomaly

Hi there! Loving Dorico so far, save for a few tiny things. I posted something similar a year ago and I’m hoping a better solution has been found than the one I was given. Dorico keeps doing this:
Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 2.38.20 PM
or this:
Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 2.43.10 PM

And I really want the default to be this:
Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 2.43.52 PM
Having to force-input this every time is quite cumbersome. Is there a setting I’m missing?

Thanks in advance!

It probably won’t be perfect, but I would recommend at least trying this setting, in the Syncopation section of the Note Grouping page of Notation Options:

Thank you Daniel! The only issue is, I still want eighth-quarter-eighth in a few spots as well. Wouldn’t that interfere with that?

Yes, it certainly may, so you’ll have to pick your poison, I’m afraid. This is why I suggested it was unlikely to be perfect.

Understood, thanks! If I may humbly suggest a way to have both of these as simultaneous settings in future versions, it would certainly save quite a bit of headache (I personally use those two rhythmic patterns a ton in my own writing, though I can’t speak for others).

Thank you for all the great work that you do!

Yes, I agree that greater flexibility in note grouping would be good, and I am sure we will revisit these options with a view to expanding them in future, though I can’t say when!

2 Likes

@ryanomusic you can copy and paste this rhythm wherever you want it and then use “lock durations” to repitch the motive wherever it’s copied. Doing so will save you oodles of time.

1 Like