1st beat missing

If i trying to record midi from the start of the project (track) first midi notes are not recording . if I make the indentation 1-2 bars and start to record - all works fine, first midi notes are recording.

If this sounds familiar it’s because I’ve cut and pasted a problem someone had in Cubase 9.

Sometimes I just want a basic drum pattern to put in a chord sequence for teaching improvisation so it’s not anything difficult to play, but even if I wait for the first beat click and then play to quantise later the bass drum is often missing.

I think there are quite a few people that don’t start their project at bar 1 but rather at bar 5 or so. You found one of the reasons why.

Yeah, odd one that!

MIDI Record Catch Range in ms: Ensures that the very start of a recording that starts at the left locator is included.

May be it will help if you enlarge this value.

Thank you for this suggestion. I’ll give this a go.

I typically start my projects at bar -7 :slight_smile:

That’s a strange bar to start on !

:joy: - allow me to explain how I got there:

I use a negative number to allow my song to start at bar 1

• project starting point at bar -7 means there are 8 bars in front of bar 1:
    -7, -6, -5, -4, -3, -2, -1, 0

Why 8 empty bars, rather than 1, 2 or 4?

• I regularly use beat making plugins sync’d with the Cubase Transport,
    • some of the better one’s including Groove Agent facilitate automatically putting fills every few bars, which I like to use while song writing, “jamming”, producing or arranging (generally pop/electronica kind of stuff)

So let’s assume I have Groove Agent put a fill every 2 bars while sync’d to the Cubase Transport buttons.

• If I only have 1 extra bar at the beginning, GA will now create fills at bars 1, 3, 5, etc. - not very desirable in most cases.
  • If I have 2 extra bars at the beginning, things work better

So let’s assume I have Groove Agent put a fill every 4 bars while sync’d to the Cubase Transport buttons.

• If I only have 2 extra bars at the beginning, GA will now create fills at bars 2, 6, 10, etc. - again, not very desirable in most cases.
  • If I have 4 extra bars at the beginning, things work better.

So let’s assume I have Groove Agent put a fill every 8 bars while sync’d to the Cubase Transport buttons.

• If I only have 4 extra bars at the beginning, GA will now create fills at bars 4, 12, 20, etc. - again, not very desirable in most cases.
  • If I have 8 extra bars at the beginning, things work better.

So, by having 8 extra bars in front of bar 1, it allows me to have my most common scenarios for automated fills line up as you might commonly expect for typical pop/electronic song structures.

p.s. And I also never start projects at bar 1, because I want to have some time to send preparatory control change or other messages before the start of the song. And giving those messages to take effect some time before the first note, avoids a variety of potential issues not only in Cubase, but also in various plugins.

2 Likes

Totally makes sense! I got it after your first few sentences. It’s funny how we adapt to solve problems like this! Thanks for the reply and solution.

1 Like