1st page being a left hand page

I am curious if there is a way to move the 1st page to being a left hand page as opposed to the right hand page? I know I can add a blank page, then start on pg 2, but does the page layout have to start with a right hand page?

I do a lot of work of 2 page examples, exercises, etc., and usually, I do left hand page and right hand page as the 2 pages.

Robby

Isn’t it as easy as (in Setup Mode) changing 1st page to “2”?

Well, I am not quite sure how to do that? I know how to renumber the pages. Would that automatically start the document with a left handed page?

Robby

In Engrave mode right-click the first page icon and select “insert page number change”

But does renumbering from page 1 to page 2 automatically now make it a left hand page?

Robby

Yes, so 2 pages will appear as one spread, with page numbers 2 (left) and 3 (right) …

Thanks for the tip. I’ll try it when I get home.

Robby

I’m sorry to resurrect this 5 1/2 year old thread, but has there been a solution to it?

The manual states that if I want the first page to be on the left side, I can open layout options and set the starging page to be an even page number. Then the first page will sit correctly on the left side, but the second page has number 3 printed on it, and the third page has become number 4…

Is there no way to have page 1 be on the left and keep all the other numbers correct?
I write for wind band, and most of my pieces have 3 or 4 pages. When the only needed page turn is sitting perfectly after page 2, I would like pages 1 and 2 be printed next to each other on the front of the sheet, and pages 3 and 4 next to each other on the back.

Thanks in advance, Estigy

I love it: the one legitimate exception to the page number rule. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yes, our beloved band music world seems to be full of exceptions :wink:

1 Like

You can manually change the number for the second page, so that they go 2,2,3,4. I just did this today 10-15 times :slight_smile:

If you want Dorico to correctly apply left and right page templates, you can also insert a blank page before your actual page 1, then don’t print that page if printing 2-up.

My current workaround is “Don’t put page numbers in the corners of the page. Put it in the center so nobody knows if it’s a right or a left page” :smiley:

2 Likes

If you have a lot of these and they are all exactly 4 pages, you might want to just set up a Page Template that will do it all automatically. This Page Template …

… results in this part layout:

Dorico only thinks it’s 2 pages as you are using 2 music frames on each double-width page, so apply the template with one click and you’re done.

2 Likes

I’ve done that too, it’s handy if you have multiple pieces (as flows) in the same project :slight_smile:

Is there any downside to creating a template that is designed the opposite way around so that all music using this template has odd numbers on the left and even numbers on the right? For simple worksheets and such, not print projects.

Just means you don’t have to mess with page numbers, plus you can always change the page template layout back if need be - though for a big project with a lot of exceptions, this would be tedious work.

I’m not sure why it would be necessary, unless you have a gutter margin that differs from the outside margin.