2.2 - Erase Background and Brackets

2.2 is proving to be absolutely fantastic. Congrats to everyone involved on another mind-blowing release.

I noticed a slightly different behavior between 2.1 and 2.2 with “erase background” for text items and was wondering if it was intended. In 2.1, “erase background” would erase even a bracket at the beginning of the system, but in 2.2 it will not. See picture for an example.

It’s not something that comes up often for me (actually, I’m pretty sure this is the only time it ever has), and honestly, I’d rather not need to use the feature like that, but in this case, it was somewhat unavoidable since the group I was engraving for wanted some additional markings before each verse of the hymn.

I still have 2.1 installed on one of my computers, so if the way it is in 2.2 is the new normal and this particular engraving needs any more editing, it’s not a problem, but I am curious and thought I would bring it to the attention of the team.
erase background.JPG

It was coincidental rather than designed that “erase background” would wipe out brackets/braces in Dorico 2.1 and 2.0; the changes to how brackets are drawn to accommodate being able to select them will have resulted in this change of behaviour. In the fullness of time we expect to be able to provide more fine-grained control over the z-order of various items, which will help to address this.

Awesome :slight_smile:

I would appreciate if ‘erase background’ also would affect bracketing. I need this very often…

2 Likes