2 Mikes, Same Brand - Dynamic Works, Condenser Doesn't

Cubase Pro 12 on Windows 10 64-bit

Mikes and I/O:

Audio Technica ATR6250 - Stereo Dynamic - works
Audio Technica AT2020 XLR/TRS - no sound
One I/O: Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD (two +48V MIDAS preamps). In Cubase I have a simple stereo in and stereo out setup.

My Korg Trinity hardware synth-workstation works also through the Behringer, both as MIDI keyboard and to record audio off of its own soundbanks.

Yes, I could use the skinny dynamic mike, but it was for my old camcorder, not for vocals and it requires pumping up gain which adds hissing.

The bigger and better condenser is brand new, only tested for less than an hour this last summer. And as I recall, I did get it to work with Cubase.

Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Phantom Power not turned on (or not reaching the mic)?
Bad cable (the hardest working problem in audio)?

I made triple sure the phantom power is on (one can see the led light lit - it’s the bottom one of the two - in my crappy photo of my XLR inserted into my Behringer. It may be the cable, but hardly ever used. I’ll have to find some way to test it independently.

Most puzzlin’…

Well, just ordered a replacement cable on Amazon to play it safe and see if that one will work. If not, it may be the mike itself, though improbable.

The connector attached to the interface looks like a TRS jack and not like an XLR male. Beware that you will not get Phantom power from the jack part of a combo connector.

5 Likes

@valsolim - I’ve read about that, but what you see is an adapter - XLR to TRS - which is has 3 contact points (not just 2 as in regular 1/4" jacks, so it should work, or that is my hope). Because otherwise…

…Why have a phantom power on an audio I/O and but XLR input? Most I/O of this type have the same input one sees on my Behringer (black plastic with 1/4" female center, whatever it is called).

So I’m confused. My replacement XLR cable is due to come in today, hopefully it will work (with the same adapter) - or not.

No, this adapter will not work with phantom power, that’s what I’m saying. Your Behringer features so called combo connectors that accept both 1/4" jacks but also XLR males. So, you should plug the XLR male directly into the interface, without any adapter.

1 Like

@valsolim - I get your point, but as far as I know, the above is a standard XLR cable, and the male cannot fit into the type of input on my and many other consumer I/O. A normal TRS (dual pole) 1/4" doesn’t carry phantom power, but isn’t the point of a triple pole XLR connector - be it mike version or transmitted through a 3-pole adapter - is that it can do so?

All that said, if your viewpoint is correct, than what kind of cable should I get? It has to have 1/4" male, it’s the only thing that will fit my I/O.

@Newsoniclight Why do you think the standard XLR cable does not fit your Behringer? It is simply not true! :grin: Have you tried to plug it in? Beware that the XLR connector is not axially symetrical, so you should rotate it appropriately before plugging in! As I wrote, the interface has a combo connector accepting both 1/4" jack and XLR male. This is completely standard solution for this kind of interfaces.

@valsolim - Well, I’d have to violate the laws of physics to plug the male XLR into my interface as shown above. Not a square-peg-into-round-hole situation, but close. It does go in very slightly if I line up the three prongs on the cable with the three indentations on the input, but not at all an appropriately tight fit, and still no sound.

That cable is the standard xlr cable across the world. The connectors are Neutric-style connectors, which are also standardized.

Simply rotate the plug as you plug it into the jack and it will go in, unless something is actually broken.

This is possibly the most commonplace hardware configuration possible for mic cables.

@Newsoniclight I think you are starting to get the point - the three indentations are there exactly for the pins. But your cable connector, indeed, seems to be unusually robust - either its wall (cylinder) or the pins are perhaps too thick. As @steve suggests, get a quality cable with Neutrik connector and it will fit well, trust us :wink:

Here is my cable and my interface, fitting perfectly:

1 Like

@valsolim - OK, got it. Due to my budget, I ordered and am supposed to get delivered a 10ft Amazon Basic which may or may not the kind of fitting issue you mentioned. If it does, I’ll just have fork out some more moolah.

I haven’t sung for over 30 years - medical and other issue in the interim, and at age 69 soon, I thought I’d totally lost being able to do so. But I finally got the gumption to just try somehing (with my cheapy dynamic mike), and after some froggy throat croakiness, I surprised myself.

I almost sound as good as when I sang my own songs with guitar in a pre-DAW, pre music workstation time from my teens into my 30s.

So I might as well get this right, I’m looking forward to unrusting my pipes. (Not a great vocalist, I have limited range – I sound a bit like David Gilmour of Pink Floyd since I emulated him back then, but I can stay in key - lol).

Once a sonic soul, always one, I guess, even as a skinny old fart.

Okay, I wish you success! Both technical and artistic… :grin:

1 Like