2 Monos to Stereo

Good point Svenne. I have indeed been reading up on RIAA EQ (including the Wiki page you note) since it was raised in this thread. Quite an interesting subject, and one which I had not come across before.

I concur, the best way to go is with a dedicated Phono preamp. I have one turntable with this built in (but I don’t use it) I have 2 discreet phono preamps, one of which, a terratec is not bad. I, however prefer to use the one built into my Soundcraft mixer, as it also has built-in DI for guitars - just makes my input patching easier, and also services as a headphone distributer for the artist cues.
Anyway, this might be something to look into - a small mixer such as used by DJs will usually have Phono Preamps built in, plus you have the advantage of having a HW premixer should you ever need one.

Thanks. I have just bought a phono preamp with inbuilt RIAA EQ, so I will give that a tryout.

So I have now recorded my albums using the phono preamp with RIAA EQ and I am pleased to say I have a superb result! HughH, you were spot on in raising the importance of EQ early on, it makes all the difference, and as mentioned, I did not even know about the issue. So thanks again to all, it just shows the value of this forum!