2-POP:2 seconds or 48 frames?

Test Tones @ -20dB, 2pop doesn’t matter how loud it is, just make sure it isn’t hurting the ears of others.

Fredo

Thanks gents.
Can I assume from all these contributions that there is actually some kind of a global reference for test tones, namely -20dBFS?

Resetting the test tones in my template now… :wink:
Thanks, Niek/ Amsterdam.

In the industry over 30 years I have never heard of 48 frames as well. Mind you I’m in Canada and of course I do a lot of work for the States. As well we mostly call it a 2 Beep here. I’m sure this is different in many regions of the world but the “2” in a “2 beep” actually stands for “2 seconds”.

Hope everyone is doing well in these times.

The acedemy leader that was created in the US was based on 12x16 frames (16 frames equals one foot on 35mm). You know the feet you all love. Not seconds.
But its not strange anyway, because you dont “use” anything like 25fps in US/Canada.
Its all versions of 24fps. Like dropframe TC not matching actual time. True 24fps and 25fps always do.
So yes a second would be “a second” (that may or may not at all be a actual second…).
But a second in 24fps is always 24 film frames. Only the reference speed may be different.

It is fascinating how these things seemsso obvious to some, (because circumstances make them important) but for others it just doesn’t seem to make sense at all.

2 seconds isn’t “wrong” it is just not always right :slight_smile:

I accidentally ran across this old post, but this is a very simple question if anyone else runs across it in the future…
The answer should always be: 48-FRAMES

At 24fps:
“24 frames per second” = 24 frames / 1 second
(24 frames / 1 second) x 2seconds = 48 frames
In other words, 2 seconds at 24fps is precisely 48 frames.

1. 48 frames is the absolute precision. “2 seconds” could end up being 2.001, 2.0001, 2.0000001, or whatever; but 48 frames is exactly 2 seconds.

2. “2 seconds” could become and issue at other frame rates, as it messes with the math and 2 seconds could end up not being precisely at any frame at all. In that case, it becomes a question of “Should I start on the frame immediately before 2 seconds or immediately after?” If the answer is always 48-frames, then everyone in every studio everywhere is beginning at the same moment.

1 Like