2 raw songs

The final two offerings from my new album. Please feel free to peruse the rest.
These songs have similar instrumentation and feel. They both have lyrics of hope but the second comes out of despair and, therefore has a darker aspect.
Sometimes/Always starts with a view of people in general and moves towards how the reaction of one person can change or enhance that view.

Don’t Push Away is, perhaps, my most personal song ever. It comes from a time when my wife was going through some very dark times. Writing this song had a cathartic impact which helped me support my wife. It’s time to share.

All the best
Jonathan

2 Likes

Couple of very deep personal songs there my friend, quite an emotional listen…from a production point of view I think the vocal sounded very big compared to the guitar but otherwise quite moving songs…

Thank you for taking the time comment Kevin, much appreciated. It seems to me that for every song I’ve posted recently, I have received a number of nice words mixed with a sprinkling of honest and good advice about a tweak which could make the recording better. And I get it, although I likely become a touch defensive which is more being over the recording process than anything else – of course, I’d prefer perfection.
Here, with your notes on the vocal mix, it’s much the same. For years I always preferred to mix the vocals down, wanting to create an overall sonic experience for the listener. At the time, I assumed they would hear and understand the vocals as well as me as writer. First mistake. Second was that I downplayed my own vocal work, lacking confidence I suppose. It was when a friend became upset with me for doing this that I realised I needed to push them more forward. And, It’s likely that I have been doing so for so long I get results such as what you have heard.
In these songs, though, the vocal is THE important aspect of the song. The music gives colour and poise and so I tend to blend them back. Again, likely too much but it is what it is.

Again thanks for your comments.

All the best

Jonathan

Thank you for sharing! I enjoyed listening and can appreciate the raw feeling of the tracks!

Thank you for listening. Appreciate the response.

hey Jonathan,
I like the harmonics in “Sometimes” . The mix is also pretty clean.
Regarding “Don’t push away” i can feel the emotion and probably the pain.
True good job and listening.
Thank you…

Thank you Stephco. Yes, there was (still is) some pain involved.

All the best

Jonathan

Sometimes/Always was cool. It was an interesting guitar part to begin with (nice job avoiding string noise on the nylon strings!), and the percussion really worked nicely. Good vocal sound too. I’m not a particular fan of the Chameleons, but I love a song of theirs called Tears. There’s an acoustic version of that, and this reminded me of it in a nice way.
Don’t Push Away sounded good too, and it’s very nice that a personal gesture in writing and sharing this song made a difference for someone you care for. You can’t ask for more than that.

You are very kind, John. Thank you. Don’t know the Chameleons but I’m glad of the connection. The interesting part is the added 9th (D# on a D chord). It just felt right at the time. Unsettling but resolvable.
And yes, cathartic writing is so important but the vulnerability it creates can be overwhelming.

All the best

Jonathan

Jonathan, these two songs fit in very well with your album. You should be proud.

Thanks Leon. A labour of love and worth it in the end.

All the best

Jonathan