2 soundcards in Cubase 11

Hi

As far as understand it is possible to run more than one soundcard in cubase. Has anyone tried this to any success? If so, how did you do it?

Thanks in advance!

On Windows that’s only with an ASIO driver such as ASIO4All, or on MacOS you can use Aggregate Devices.

Cubase/Nuendo don’t support this natively.

Also there can be problems with sync

Windows?
It’s possible to aggregate devices if you use ASIO4ALL.

ASIO4ALL is a generic WDM > ASIO backend. It’s similar to the Generic ASIO driver that ships with Steinberg hosts, but has some advanced options…among them being the ability to aggregate devices.

The question then becomes, can you force the cards to share a common audio clock?

Sometimes you can if the cards have clock ports, SPDIF, or something along those lines and can get the two interfaces slaved to a common clock. I.E. You can run a SPDIF cable between two audio interfaces (from output of one, to input of the other), and force ‘output’ device to lock to the clock of the ‘input’ device in the audio interface’s software control panels.

If you can’t get both interfaces on the same clock…you can still aggregate them. Problems might arise.

If you just want ‘inputs’, it shouldn’t be a big problem.
I.E. Say you have a USB mic, and you just want to aggregate that into the setup.

I.E. If you just need more ‘inputs’ but will only be using the outputs of one of the interfaces, you should be OK.

If having a little time drift between the outputs of the two interfaces isn’t a big problem for you, then you could use the outputs on both cards as well. It’s also possible that you get ‘lucky’, the two clocks keep close enough time independently, and there’s no ‘noticeable drift’.

1 Like

Okay so your post scared me enough to find another solution. I took an old computer an ran cakewalk on it an recorded tracks into it. Then exported/imported the files into Cubase.

Thanks for the reply!

If you’d like to dub between apps on the same machine, have a look at ASIO Link Pro.

It’s free these days, and allows routing audio from WDM and ASIO apps around on the same machine (64 channels worth by default).

It can also network streams among multiple machines across a LAN.