2 Versions of Cubase Pro 12 showing in Steinberg Activation Manager

Below is a screen shot of the Steinberg Activation Manager which shows I seem to have 2 versions, one activated and one not. I’m not sure why I would have 2 versions to begin with. I received an email saying one would expire in 14 days but if you try to activate it, it wont. Anyone have any ideas what is going on and what I should do?

Since it will expire, perhaps a license for a trial version?

It is a second upgrade that has been activated on the same account, not a trial. IIRC it is impossible to verify a second upgrade for the same product on the same account with the current implementation of Steinberg Licensing.

1 Like

In my experience the new licensing system has serious issues in cases where a user has more than one license for the same product.

Example 1: a user has two Cubase 11 Pro licenses and upgrades both to Cubase 12 Pro. I would have expected that would result in 6 potential activations being available in SAM, but that does not seem to be the case.

Example 2: a user has Cubase 11 Pro and Cubase 11 LE and upgrades both to Cubase 12 Pro and Cubase 12 LE respectively. Cubase 12 Pro and Cubase 12 LE are installed on seperate machines. On starting Cubase 12 LE, a Cubase Pro 12 license gets used up silently, without consent, on that machine (and Cubase 12 LE starts up as Cubase 12Elements).

1 Like

Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated. I didn’t download a trial so its not that Raino. I wonder if it might have something to do with the fact that I upgraded from Cubase 11. I had bought that to upgrade from 10.5 but never used it or activated it, as I only bought it to get the reduced upgrade price when 12 came out. Convoluted I know, but that was my thinking. When I went to upgrade to 12, I had to then activate 11 and I wonder now if I inadvertently did something to create 2 instances of Cubase in SAM. Whatever, I’ll wait for it to expire and see what happens. If nothing all well and good. If it goes awry I’ll be back here begging for help :slight_smile: Thanks again guys for your comments. Raino, did you used to frequent the Roland VS forums?

It sounds like you might have inadvertently bought an upgrade more than you needed.

If you bought the upgrade from Cubase 10.5 to Cubase 11 but did not apply it until the grace period for Cubase 12 had started, the Cubase 11 upgrade would have activated as grace period eligible for a free upgrade to Cubase 12. In that scenario, you did not need to purchase a Cubase 11 to 12 upgrade.

I would open a support ticket to get this straightened out.

Nope, not me.

I think @David_W has figured it out.