250 Euros for an update from 7.5 to 9 == too much

That is obvious : )

Thank you, hope so!

Personally I’d rather Steinberg double all of their prices, expand their team and have bigger updates… but really I’m overly happy with how things have been for the last several years.

My word “force” is probably wrong, but my point was that if someone want to have a strategy to save some money with upgrade, i thought it was possible if you were waiting 2 years by not upgrading and torture yourself in this abstinence, but in fact no, there is no reward for that.
So user that want to save money don’t have better choice than buy each update and enjoy all of them, because the frustration of abstinence does not save money. (sorry very bad english, i hope you understand :wink: )

The only way like djw says is to activate license during grace period, but we never sure at 100% that new versions will always come at beginning of December.

Personally i did each upgrade since SX Cubase version not because i have no choice in saving money, but rather because i couldn’t wait to test new features :mrgreen:

Sometimes i feel the same, i would pay extra for some feature to boost my favorite DAW.

that is another topic! the topic is about update from 7.5 → 9 with same product not a cubase X Ultra which does not exist

I did some calculations on the prices on the Steinberg shop. Steinberg adds about 32% extra for those who jump directly from v8 to v9, compared to those who have upgraded (v8 > v8.5 > v9).

Nice to see that Steinberg rewards their loyal customers.

Thank you for the insight! basically I feel punished twice then because i skiped update for 1.5 version:

• not been able to use (100%)
  • pay the same has i ever have been using it (100%)

is it an implicit subscription strategy? something like: we have to pay the same amount sooner or later if we ever want to upgrade later.
I’d prefer your sentence this way:
Nice to see that Steinberg rewards their customers.

I thought Steinberg always released a new version of Cubase in desember, at least that’s what i thought.
So with that in mind i bought the upgrade from Cubase 6 to Cubase 8.5 this summer when it was 40% off, but i didnt activate the licence before now. So i got the Cubase 9 upgrade for free… :slight_smile:

Currently this March 2017 what is the lowest price path from Cubase 7.5 to Cubase 9?
$250?
Will it ever be lower in 2017?
Perhaps $150.
Any sales coming up
Wait for v9.5?

At $250 I will likely not upgrade.
Or may sell my Cubase and use the cash for other musical software.

Have you considered upgrading just before a new release? you will be entitled for the grace period, giving you two upgrades for the price of one…

No-one who knows is going to answer this question as it would kill full price sales of the software until that date. All we fellow users can say is that sales don’t normally come until later in the year. Like gjermundsen I upgraded late last summer when there was a 40% off deal. I’d be very surprised if it came any earlier than that.

Have you downloaded the trial? You might find out after a trial that either it IS worth it or definitely not…best way to find out IMHO.

I trialed version 8 but there weren’t enough feature improvements or new features to warrant upgrading so I waited for version 9, which consequently did not take long.

The longer you wait between versions the more expensive it becomes and if you wait too long, support will be dropped for an earlier version.

So apparently it is too late to upgrade from 7.5 to 8.5, let 'say for $150 and
get Cubase 9 for free? I believe Guitar World had 7.5 to 8.5 for $149 not
too long ago.

So there is hope for me.
So $250 minus 40% = $150
I can wait for summer but I realize this is not a certainty.

You may find a boxed product in a shop but it would only be v8, not 8.5.

If you read the fine print you’ll discover that the grace period update is only available ONCE in your lifetime for a major product. :cry:

Hi

If I buy an upgrade for cubase from Steinberg store, will it be activated automatically or we can activate it later so that I can get grace period?

You can activate it whenever you like.

Sure? Because I checked my order history bought at steinberg online shop, and the purchased date and activation dates are same. And I don’t find any email for activation codes.

Only those bought with retailer online shops such as sweet water, I get activation code email.

I bought an update from C8 to C8.5 from the Steinberg online shop and waited probably at least six months to activate it when C9 was released and got the grace period update. I received an email with the activation code and I just kept a copy of it.
HTH