3.0 to 3.5 Update grace period

Hey Gang.

I searched but couldn’t find an answer. I know the upgrade isn’t covered in the summer sale. But updating 3.0 to 3.5 is eligible for a free upgrade to 4.0 when it ships, yes?

@kclements hello,
I think you should be able to directly upgrade to Dorico 4.0 during the grace period if you already bought the upgrade to Dorico 3.5 on summer sale. :slight_smile:

Best wishes,

I’m honestly not sure whether or not buying an update to Dorico 3.5 now would entitle you to a free update to Dorico 4 when it is released. It would be a bit of a pricing anomaly if we did allow it, because the update from 3.x to 3.5 is cheaper than either the update from 3.5 to 4.0 or from 3.0 to 4.0. I’ll need to check this out.

@dspreadbury hello,
Well this is valid for Cubase, so it should be the same for Dorico. Actually many Cubase users buy “.5” update on summer sale and waiting for the next major version in order to take benefit of the grace period. This is a very attractive pricing policy… :slight_smile:

Best regards,

So that begs the question; Is 3.0->3.5->4.0 going to be equal to 3.0->4.0. Maybe that hasn’t been announced or decided.

Thanks for looking into it Daniel.

We don’t do strictly “additive” pricing, i.e. the price to go from 3.0 to 4.0 via 3.5 isn’t guaranteed to be the same as going from 3.0 directly to 4.0. Certainly if it is possible to update to 3.5 now and take advantage of the grace period, then it will be considerably cheaper than updating directly from 3.0 to 4.0 when that update arrives. Because Dorico 4 will be a “big” update, the update from 3.5 to 4.0 will be more expensive than the update from 3.0 to 3.5, and to update from 3.0 or earlier will be more expensive than the update from 2.0 or 1.x to 3.5. Hopefully you will find it to be sufficiently feature-rich to be worth the asked update price, particularly if you are coming from an earlier version of Dorico.

Dorico 3.5 was a “small” update, but it still introduced dozens of useful features, including pitch before duration input, divisi condensing, line editors, clef and transposition overrides, figured bass, expanded guitar notation, etc. etc. Dorico 4 will be considerably bigger – there is a great deal that we still have not talked about publicly at all, but due to the arrival of the iPad it’s already known that it will include all of the new features of the iPad version, including on-screen instruments, the Key Editor in Write mode, a revamped Play mode and Mixer, pitch and rhythmic transformations, automatic score ordering, improved handling of rests and tuplets in percussion, polyphonic transcription for MIDI import and real-time recording, etc. etc. And there are many more useful, workflow-boosting improvements that will be coming, too.


All this seems to imply that Dorico 4 is close, will that be when we can say farewell to the dongle? It never bothered me much all the years of using Cubase, but I seem to move between my desktop and laptop a lot more with Dorico.

Thanks Daniel.
I know my question borderlines asking for information you are not yet willing to share (release dates, pricing, features and so on). I hope I did not come off as reluctant to support the development of Dorico and the work you and your team are doing.

I asked because I thought there was mention in a video about the grace period applying to upgrades from 3 to 3.5 but couldn’t find anything in writing. It’s very possible I misheard, or misunderstood, or even dreamed it for that matter :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info. I think it might work best for me to wait for 4.0 to ship and update from 3.0. 3.5 is a great update, but just getting started (again) with Dorico, there is plenty to learn with the version I have. In the meantime I will dig deeply into Dorico on iPad.


@kclements, I’ve had confirmation from my colleagues in Hamburg that it is indeed the case that if you buy a Dorico Pro 3.5 update now, you will be entitled to a free update to Dorico Pro 4 when it arrives later in the year. This is certainly going to be the cheapest way to get Dorico 4 if you are running Dorico 3 or earlier. It’s not something we advertise or even necessarily want our customers to do, but it’s possible given the way the grace period system is set up, so there’s nothing to stop you doing it.

@ChrisW, Dorico 4 is not imminent, but it is expected before the end of the year. We haven’t made any announcements about whether or not Dorico 4 will introduce Steinberg’s new license management system, but we will provide concrete details about that new system ahead of the first product to be introduced that will use it, so that our customers have information about how the system will work.


Thanks Daniel.

Thanks Daniel