3/4(q,1+1+1) -- can't parse this

I did something wrong and now I can’t find my way out. I want to end up with a couple of empty bars to fill back in the music I messed up.
The screenshot shows that Dorico is trying to help, but I couldn’t find anything that looks like this. I don’t know where to start. The result will be a couple of empty bars of 3/4 time to fill in where I clobbered it, nothing fancy. It’s Bach.

1 Like

Can you clarify? What’s wrong, and what do you want instead?

Try selecting the barline at the signpost and deleting it.

Thanks for replying on Sunday.
I did bumble my way to what I want, but I don’t feel like I know what I’m doing yet.
I would like to find and read the documentation on “3/4(q,1+1+1)”, where it comes from, etc.

It’s a signpost, indicating a change in time signature, while the time signature is hidden.
If you don’t need it, you can just select it and delete it.
As to where it comes from: there are several possibilities. :slight_smile:

The red signpost is showing you a hidden time signature. Either you had a time signature there and hid it, or you have a non-default barline - if it’s a non default barline, the red signpost is Dorico’s way of showing you that this is a non-default barline. Did you have a double bar or a repeat bar or something there? If so, when you want to turn it into a regular barline, do so by selecting and deleting it, not by grabbing a “normal” barline from the Bars and Barlines section of the right panel.

As to the (1+1+1), that’s just Dorico’s way of indicating the beam grouping of the time signature.

Nobody does software help like this. None of my business, but you guys don’t get paid enough.
A signpost. Duh. I should have known that.
Now it makes sense. In the fog I forgot what happened before this started. I inadvertently hit the Insert button on the Toolbox and all hell broke loose. I thought I had it all fixed, but I guess this last issue was collateral damage. Anyway, thanks for the help.
All is well and me a little wiser we can hope.
That’s the second time I have hit the Insert button and made trouble for myself. I didn’t see it light up.

Unless I am much mistaken, none of those who just answered you are paid at all for the help they generously provide on this forum. They presumably like helping others to become as familiar as possible with a program they enjoy.

I don’t get paid for this, but Dorico has been very good to me professionally. :sunglasses:

Indeed, and they deserve much appreciation and thanks.

Likewise :wink:

Derrek nailed it.
Dorico is an awesome product that one usually needs some time to get used to (rather: unlearn old habits).
I don’t want anyone to miss out the full experience … :wink: