3 and out

Hi I Love and use W.L. 7 have for a few years. But I am less than happy about your push to out date my very expensive computer. No O.S. update NO W.L.8 well I will go on record and say now that the trend to throw out 3 year old $2400.00 dollar computers is just wrong. And for the lack of will to support drivers that has been succesfully supported by others. Says to me go another way. I have been with you for C5 -C6-C7. But If you are going to be more like P.T. in your support for your end users systems. Then I do have alternatives I am not the only studio to be parting with Mac OSX. Most of us cant pay to play with a platform that is scraped in 3 years. If you dont understand that then Im wasting my time with you

What exactly is the issue here. What OS are you talking about and what computer do you think you have to “throw out”?

VP

This is 10.8 only so 2009 mac pro or newer . In a way I understand Steinburgs position but I still cant pay my way. The Mac slope is to steep for me.So many users are dropping Mac and so must I. But that being said steinburgs not supporting 32 bit EFI is crap and dont worry I wont tread again. I thought Steinburg might value the input. I dont think I am alone in needing this update drivin bleed out to stop. Im not going to say names but there are other D.A.W.s that have support from 10.4 through 10.8 And vista through W.8 and lynix. So the story that the code is just to hard to support Ill take to heart .And do buissiness with those who can. I like the soft ware and would have used it for an update But not $3100.00 . For you who can pay, more power to you. YOUR PAL treadmill And Honest I mean no dis I just cant keep on

Well…it’s not like your current machine is going to stop working nor is there any requirement for you whatsoever to upgrade or do anything for that matter.

Unless you really feel strongly about something that v8 offers over v7 - I fail to see any issue here. It’s not Steinbergs fault that they put out a new version and decided to change the system requirements - that’s they call - it’s theor software. Conversely - if that bugs you - then don’t upgrade. Problem solved.

For what it’s worth - I still have old XP machines kicking around with v6 of WL on there - does the job just as it always has.

VP

I sold my mac pro for a good price and bought an equally powerful pc for $700. WL7 works just fine and I’ve saved a lot of money. Apple is a wealthy company because people buy their expensive machines.
Wavelab is a good program that has been worthwhile keeping up to date.

OS X 10.7.x is also supported.

[quote=“Vocalpoint”]

Well…it’s not like your current machine is going to stop working nor is there any requirement for you whatsoever to upgrade or do anything for that matter.

Unless you really feel strongly about something that v8 offers over v7 - I fail to see any issue here. It’s not Steinbergs fault that they put out a new version and decided to change the system requirements - that’s they call - it’s theor software. Conversely - if that bugs you - then don’t upgrade. Problem solved.

For what it’s worth - I still have old XP machines kicking around with v6 of WL on there - does the job just as it always has.

VP
[/quote]

Vocal point I quite agree and I wont update.

WaveLab 8 is not demanding on hardware more than WaveLab 7.0 is.

Again you are right but it is not my issue. The software has been supper and I am sad that my operating system in the new update is unsupported. It also is clear like the other gentelman said “Sell out Mac and go PC”. That is the issue really and it seems that the OSX days are part of another debate alltogether. P.C. 7 or 8 is a good way to go to get some ROI. Like I said early on its not about respect its about ROI. And no mater what is said that what just happened to mac pro users like me is enough to make you angry forever with a product. In the end it is not steinbergs problem. But I do think that you should be sensitive to the issue. I have tens of thousands invested in our gear.On a par with a pro tools HD rig. WE use 64 bit cubase 7 and another DAW along with Wave lab. The point here is we are in it for the long haul. It is our life and we take it serious.Losing money keeps me up nights just like every body else. MY Point is( dropping support for a 3 year old system is at least harsh). And I may just take it with a grain of salt but I dont like it at all. Long time user Keith P. Miller akron Ohio PS I am growing quite fond of the new CU7 UI

Apple has a politic of short term compatibility. For instance, to use the latest development tools (and we have to, to be compatible with the latest OS), OS X 10.6 is no longer supported.
For longer compatibility, look at Microsoft.

Apparently you chose an OS vendor that doesn’t support this philosophy, as PG pointed out. For comparison: MS Windows XP (2001) support is only dropped next year: after 13 years - and that’s real support in the sense that security updates are still released. BTW, you didn’t mention which OS you’re talking about.

Hello,

as Philippe mentioned, WaveLab 8 will also run under 10.7 even if not recommended.

Thanks,
Timo

If you are truly in it for the “long haul” and are “serious” about squeezing every dollar to get maximum ROI - why in god’s name are you using Apple? Their entire company exists to convince you again and again that something you just bought 6 months ago is useless and should be repurchased. At a price point that can never compete with a well built custom PC.

Apologies - but it’s hard to be sensitive to anyone who chooses Apple (as a badge of honor or whatever your reason is) and then complains that their machine is suddenly put out to pasture due to a lack of wanting to spend the money to stay current.

In the recording realm and specifically if you choose to use Apple products - spending money (tons of it) is par for the course. In case you haven’t noticed - Apple does not want you to use one of their machines for even 2 years - they want you buying new - every cycle - so their coffers stay full and they keep the facade going in your mind that you somehow have the best hardware and software out there. The dirty secret is - you keep paying to fuel this privilege - forever.

Please do not take Steinberg to task due to your insistence to run Apple. If you really want ROI - get onto to Windows pronto. If you couple the maturity (and unbelievable stability) of Windows 7 Professional (64) - with a well built custom machine (that you can upgrade with new parts as required) you could easily get ten years or more out of a box without a problem.

For what it’s worth - ALL the Steinberg stuff always runs better on Windows anyway.

VP

I think that you guys could not have said it better. You are spot on right, and by the by the reason for my personal Mac struggle is my interface is mac only. I felt strongly enough about this interface to go the mac route for a cycle and try it with a M.P. But in light of the reallitys Im thinking of a PCIe card in a windows7 frame we have, to keep all the software over in windows and lynix. And thus throwing snow leppord( for under $500.00) at the Mio Console fire wire. END of Problem. What do you guys think??And to the point In the end we could use any ones software( we are steinburg by choice). And for good reason Thanks to all who took the time to follow this tread and to all that had postings. I am Keith Miller from Akron OH and music is our life Thanks again

I think if that works for ya - you should run with it. Never let your gear stop you from using your software tools and getting the best from them.

Cheers!

VP

Thanks buddy

Ok even I cant belive my hipocracy after 3 nevous breaks a binge and a couple street beatings. I caved in and got another mac untill I figure out how to go linux. I know what a lick lick chump I am LOL . I gona shut up now KPM

Apple OS X Updates are usually extremely cheap. Since you mention your macs are three years old, this would make your WL Update something like $20 more expensive. What’s the point in posting?

Ollie

The" point" as you put it is that my mac is 4 years old makeing anyones upgrade steep. And even I think I should stop cring and instead come up with a beter solution. So for lack of a better Idea I resolved to Buy a used i7 mac pro book for use as my host fire wire for a" Metric halo Uln8" it has AES to interface with a PC industrial computer that we already have. This solution due to our hardware, seems to not only to solve the problem.( AND ITS A PROBLEM CAUSED BY MAC) but inhance the systems useability at large. In the case of a lap top CPU Mac Pro Book is a clear top comer for ROI. Thank you for posting your keen observation. And again its only for me( at any rate )about ROI. I need 10 + years out of a CPU. Industrial units do far better than that as they can upgrade with out end. And further I would LOVE to see Cubase go 64bit and build drivers for real linux sortware as an other opp. That would in my humble oppion put the final nail in the box of P.T. LOL. Again thanks for posting you pal kpm treadmill

globewarmer,
Maybe I’m getting this wrong, but PG and Timo both said you can run Wavelab 8 on OS 10.7. PG even said the word “supported”. And you can install 10.7 on your old Mac Pro, right? (you just can’t install 10.8 on the old Mac Pro).
Depending on what OS is on your Mac Pro, one upgrade path would be:

1. Order 10.6 Snow Leopard online. Apple is still selling it online. $20
  2. Call 1-800-My-Apple to order 10.7 Lion $20 (because they no longer sell it online, only by phone).
    Wouldn’t that take care of the original Mac Pro problem with Wavelab 8?
    Maybe I’m missing something.