3 orphaned plugins showing OUTSIDE of category folders...

Hi I just installed a few plugins and the following are not being categorized into folders like Delay, Dynamic etc on the Plugins menu item:

• 2C-Breeze
    FabFilter Twin2
    Replika

(See attached screenshot)

Is there a way for me to make them appear in the correct folders rather than orphaned at the end of the list? Is it a function of where they are installed on my hard drive?

In the plugin manager window just drag and drop them into the folder of your choice

Um, that can only be done when using collections. I am not creating a collection. I wish it were as easy as you proposed… and Steinberg really should make it possible to drag n drop them on the folders above! All I get is the “not allowed” symbol!

Um, that can only be done when using collections. I am not creating a collection. I wish it were as easy as you proposed… and Steinberg really should make it possible to drag n drop them on the folders above! All I get is the “not allowed” symbol!

Um…create a collection then! Then it is all exactly as easy as proposed.

Hello,

those are VST2 plug-ins. If you want them to show up is a given category, you can create a folder with the desired category name (e.g. Delay for Replika) inside the VST Plugins root folder, drop them into it/them and it/they will appear accordingly in the list.

Only VST3 have the category hard-coded into them and are assigned automatically.

This is EXACTLY the solution I was looking for! Doing so, Cubase intelligently added it to a folder in the PluginManager, and on the menu showed up in that category rather than orphaned at the bottom of the list.

Now I understand that 3rd party plugins are only intelligently placed in respective categories if they are VST3, but that 3rd party VST2 plugins need a little help to find their way.

Thank you!

They do need a ‘little help’ indeed :laughing:

I would still create a collection as Grim recommended, though. Please note that you can start from a duplicate of the Default collection (which cannot be modified or deleted), thus starting from the same exact list.

VST3 plug-ins are assigned to a category chosen by the Manufacturer, which can lead to having (for example) a folder named ‘Analyser’, one ‘Analyzer’ and one ‘Metering’… now, if like me you have a ‘Analysis and Metering’ folder, you end up with many categories for just the Meters / Scopes / Analysers.
With a collection you can keep the entry you like the most, get rid of redundant ones and keep the list clean.

Might take a while to set up if you have many plugs, but it’s handy and you can back-up the collection by copying the Plug-in Manager .xml file you find in the preferences for future use (or reference).

Fabio,

Noted, about the collections. I guess I was concerned about lists because I watched a video where the instructor created a Reverb collection and that was then the ONLY folder showing on the dropdown list after that. I’m guessing when you build a collection it overrides everything else and if you want to see everything, you’re going to have to put everything… is this correct?

Also I noted that Fab Filter Twin 2 is a VST3!!! It is showing as VST 3.5.1 in the PluginManager so Im not sure why this one got orphaned? This is a synth. Do you know why despite being VST3, it did not get categorized intelligently?

Also, what is the path to the Plug-in Manager .xml file?

Hi,

a collection adds on top of what you have already, it does not over-ride your existing collections or the Default one. If you create a collection named ‘My Collection’, you will be able to switch between that and the Default one within the Plug-in Manager. Try it, there is no risk: open the Plug-in Manager, click on the ‘+’ sign and select Copy Current Collection. You can revert back to the default one (downward arrow on the top-right) anytime.

The instructor probably created an empty collection and then added the Reverb category.

FabFilter plug-ins offer both VST 2 and 3 versions, so you end up with both entries if you install both. But it’s beyond strange that it was recognised and shown in the FX list.

You can access the preferences folder from Start → All Programs → Steinberg Cubase 8 64bit → User Settings Data Folder. The full path is C:\Users*your_username*\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 8_64 (please note that AppData is a hidden folder).