32 bit and 64 bit

Hi,
been having crashing problems with Cubase 7 32 bit.
I have sent a support request to Steinberg a few days ago (but they haven’t bothered getting in touch)
I was going to install the 64-bit version to see if that helped.
Will there be any known problems with both installed on the same pc?

Thanks,
Mike

No problem running both on one PC.

You should post your 32bit problems here…someone may be able to help.

Consider using jBridge, It does wonders with old VST’s, on 32-bit or 64-bit. It can convert both ways.

Windows version: jBridge ( for Windows ) | J's stuff
Mac version: jBridgeM ( for Mac OS X ) | J's stuff

Thanks lads,
Mike

Any helpful suggestions on undertaking a move to the 64-bit version of Cubase 7.5? I’m enjoying the 32-bit version of Cubase 7.5, but the upgrade to one of my VST instruments will ONLY be available for 64-bit.

That has me contemplating the 64-bit version of Cubase. As I understand it, I can install the 64-bit version AND the 32-bit version on the same PC, meaning that I could just give it a try and revert back to using the 32-bit version if I encounter any problems. I realize I’ll need to see whether each of my plug-ins is 64-bit compatible…

Any wisdom to share on this?

Cheers,
Allister

Like I said, the best thing you can do when you move to 64-bit is to get jBridge, which will ensure that you can use all your 32-bit VST’s. Cubase has a built-in bridging device (called VSTBridge) but it’s nowhere near as good as jBridge and often fails to bridge 32-bit plugs, usually resulting in a crash. With jBridge, you can even use VST’s older than v. 2.4, which is the minimum requirement for Cubase 7/7.5.

Needless to say, bridging takes a lot of CPU power, so if you don’t have enough RAM to enjoy the advantages of 64 bit computing (at least 8 gb, better if 16) and you have lots of 32-bit plugs, it wouldn’t make much sense to move to x64.

Thanks, papi61. I’ll do a bit of research into my plug-in compatibility…

Hi, can confirm that. I considered to go with 64 bit version of c7.5. I use jbridge since years - first to bridge 64bit vstis now to bridge 32bit vstis. Note that if you use automap its better to map with automap and then bridge the mapped vsti.

Hi Allister,

In addition to what other members suggested, you have another option to consider if you wish, which is VSL Vienna Ensemble Pro 5. You can download a demo and check it out. It works for a month.

Good luck.