32 bit kernel and 64 bit programs

I’ve been gathering info on this. I have an Intel Mac Pro(3.0Ghz Dual-Core Xeon). It has a 32 bit Kernel. I am running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I have been told I can run my 64 bit Cubase 6 and Wavelab and take advantage of extra ram.

The programs run smoothly. I boot holding down the 6 and 4 buttons to run SL in 64 bit mode without the 32 bit kernel.

Anyone know if it’s true that if I add up to 12 G ram the programs will access it?

In my opinion you should have a 64 bit capable processor with a 64 bit Operating System and on that you can run 32 and 64 bit programs. If your processor and/or OS is not 64bit you cannot run 64 bit programs, only 32 bit.

Here’s the final new on this: If you have an Intel Mac that runs in 32 bit kernel later than 2007 or so, you can hold down the 6 and 4 numbers and boot into 64 bit mode. On my Intel 3.0Ghz Quad Core Xeon which is 32bit kernel, you can’t do this. However, with my computer and Snow Leopard or later you can run any 64 bit program quite nicely and take advantage of all the ram you can add. This is veified by at least three Apple techs and my own experience.