32 cores custom built PC

Hi,
Would an AMD 32 cores/64 threads would work with Cubase 10.5? is it compatible?
Thanks

There is no reason to think it would not be compatible.

Yes there might be, atleast using all cores. And I am getting 16 cores AMD Ryzen 3950x system next week. Already paid for. Im anxious to read about this.
Dawbench has now quit using Cubase for benchmarks, since Cubase apperently still cant handle more than 6 cores?!

Btw, other DAWs like Bitwig and Reaper can handle multicore systems withou issues. So its not a Windows thing.

That Cubase can handle 6 cores only i do not know, you have to know plugins use cores also. So the workload on your cores might be much higher. Anyway i have 8 cores and cubase works with it. I never knew cubase only could handle 6 cores. Anyway Cubase uses all of the treads… So i expect the 6 core rule is not true.

Compatible, yes. Will it be using all cores efficently, no. My machine feels sluggish even if the cpu utilize is about 20-25% (intel performance tools) And that is less than half of your 32 core. And many tasks done within cubase is not done in parallel at all. Like loading plugins on start. It’s relly hard to do low latency stuff like a daw on massive parallel machines. However Steinberg’s user interface feels slow and lag’s when there tons of power left, and that is not good. And there are some plugins that do the parallel stuff them self like NI Kontakt. There was a post in this forum about cubase limitations. Currently it is wasted money but Im sure they are working on get better parallel support. In January the high end AMD worksation will be able to have 128 core and 256 threads and that without a silly budget. Ok, maybe not for most home studios, but peanuts for a commercial operation.

From previous multiple searches on this forum, I was told that processor speed is more advantageous than multiple cores for a DAW setup. This was a while back when I was contemplating my build. I ended up with the Intel i7 6700k which is a 4 core, 8 thread running at 4.2G/core. I may not be running 100 tracks per song but I’ve come close. I also use many instances of hungry vst instruments and effects along with the expected audio compliments and the i7 is still cool and untaxed.
Everyone has their own process and workload for recording so results may vary.

Dawbench stopped testing cubase, because cubase is not working with many cores and asioguard disabled. Dawbench needs asio guard disabled for benchmarking. If you have asio guard on, high core counts will work.

I have a new system with an AMD 3900X. The performance is much better than with my old Intel - which is obviously no surprise since it was an old cpu. There were some surprises though, one is that it did lower my cpu usage significantly (by maybe 20%) when I turned off hyperthreading (SMT or how AMD calls it). So now I’m using 12 real cores instead of 24 hyperthreaded ones. ASIO guard is on here. The other one was that my UAD Quad card didn’t work with my motherboard / CPU combo - so I had to buy a UAD Octo on top to be able to use my UAD plugins. I spent more money on that than on the whole new Computer. Despite some intensive research before I made my hardware choice I hadn’t found anything about that potential problem on the web.

So, to answer your question whether your new computer will be compatible with cubase - from my experience: yes, it will. It will be a great system. I am not sure if the 3950X will have significantly more performance than the 3900X. Yet in my case, when I see my task manager, I can’t shake the feeling that it only uses 30% of the possible performance, but I guess I am overlooking some bottlenecks.

Michael

Exactly I have the same report, I maxed out my cpu/audio performance and my CPU usage says 25% on windows 10 and only 5Gb of RAM used on the 24GB installed ! I tried everything in the MB preferences but I can’t remove those limitations, I end up having dropouts like crazy.