3rd-Party plugins can load in empty MixConsole, but when a project is opened, they cannot load

Having a weird situation with Nuendo 11.0.41 here.

When I open Nuendo, without any project, and just open the MixConsole, I can pretty much load any 3rd-party plugin.

However, when I open an actual project, and attempt to load a 3rd-party plugin, Nuendo freezes and nothing happens. I have to force-quit it.

Any ideas???

Any help much appreciated, thanks.

Nuendo crashing is a very broad topic, it would be helpful to provide some information on your setup

1 - PC or Mac?
2 - Is this a new install of Nuendo or upgrade?
3 - Has anything changed in your setup (hardware/software/VST)?
4 - Have you tried any of the options in safe mode?
5 - Is this problem affecting every project?
6 - Is this problem occurring when using stock Nuendo plugins?
7 - Have you looked at the Nuendo dumplogs, or system logs?

1 - PC or Mac? PC
2 - Is this a new install of Nuendo or upgrade? Upgrade
3 - Has anything changed in your setup (hardware/software/VST)? Nope
4 - Have you tried any of the options in safe mode? Yes
5 - Is this problem affecting every project? Yes
6 - Is this problem occurring when using stock Nuendo plugins? Nope
7 - Have you looked at the Nuendo dumplogs, or system logs? Not yet

Actually, I think I’ve figured what’s wrong.
When I start a completely empty project, all plugins can load without a problem.
But when I load a template which I created since earlier versions of Nuendo, that template does not load the plugins. I think it’s a glitch from a template that was made in earlier versions of Nuendo.
I’m remaking my template completely from scratch now. Will update everyone here.

Thanks.

That’s good information for others who may have problems with templates from previous versions!

DAMN IT, It’s something COMPLETELY unrelated and nothing to do with Steinberg!

I tried creating a template from scratch. Loading a 3rd party plugin, no problem.

Then, I loaded my FX chains that contained UAD plugins. The MOMENT I did, I couldn’t load other 3rd-party plugins anymore. So I was really perplexed.

So I checked my UAD-2 PCIe card software, and I was behind quite a couple of updates for this card.
I downloaded the latest UAD software for my card, restarted the computer, and BOOM. Now, I can load OTHER 3rd party plugins alongside my UAD plugins! The UAD plugins are on a group channel in which other audio tracks with other 3rd party plugins were on were connected to it, so I think there’s some kind of disruption glitch due to the un-updated UAD software driving the UAD plugins.

Quite a shitshow, but I guess I’ve figured out what the problem was - my UAD-2 driver software! Once I’ve updated that, every other 3rd party plugin now loads, no problem. poop!

Anyways, sorry to disturb everyone! Hope that those with exactly my same setup and problem could refer to this! In this case, absolutely not Steinberg’s fault.

Now a happy camper!

Well, not a complete loss for the greater community. The takeaway here is to address the entire signal chain when troubleshooting.
As an old guy in the technology field - always start at one end or the other (not the middle), and walk your way through it when troubleshooting. Research and address dependencies before upgrades. And adopt a patch/update schedule for every thing in the signal chain:

1 - Pick a day each month to research and do updates, this way you are always on top of things.
2 - Set PC/Mac to automatically download updates, but not automatically install.
3 - Manually check audio drivers, DAW, VST updates, and schedule installing them way outside of any important project work. Installing or updating a new plugin just before or during a project will guarantee a visit to Steinberg support.
4 - Create a Cubase/Nuendo template with the VST/inserts you commonly use, and with all tracks disabled, use this for testing your updates.

1 Like