4 questions about tempo marks

So you have to remember to type in the metronome marking you want and add any fixed tempo as text in the Properties panel. Now you know.

I had a similar problem. I need to write “Poco Lento q=69”. No way to do it except type “Lento q=69” in the popup and then go to properties and add the “Poco”. It makes no sense to me. Why so complicated?

Dorico categorises tempo marks as explained in the manual here (and throughout this thread).

Sometimes composers disagree with those categorisations.

I recently figured out that there’s a quicker way of bypassing Dorico’s categorisations, at least in tempo marks that include a space.

Rather than typing e.g. Poco Space Lento q=63, type Poco Alt-Space Lento q=63.
It takes almost no extra time to hold down Alt, and that single key press (which tells Dorico to input a non-breaking space) fools Dorico into creating a custom Absolute tempo marking.

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip. It’s certainly faster than my workaround. Anyway, I’m not very happy about having to fool a program to do what you want it to do, especially in something as basic as tempo marking. I have run into similar problems where Dorico tries to “help” and forces you to find complicated workarounds to do what you want to do. Thanks for helping me out!