5.1.1 update won't install on XP

Of course I respect your POV.
But with your arguments you shouldn’t do the upgrade in a time critical project any way.
Still in the same arguments, there isn’t any difference risk wise to reinstall N5 from DVD compared to just applying the update. Windows Installer is running the circus in both scenarios, and both are as likely to fail as any.

However, I do agree that Steinberg shouldn’t put out updates that have problems installing.
If it is a problem, drop the Windows Installer and use another mean of installing.
In OSX it is a bliss, but the bad side is that the actual updates increase in size.

Pål

Hi Pal,

“But with your arguments you shouldn’t do the upgrade in a time critical project any way.”

Really? Been dealing with computers for many years. Already knew that. Each of our clients views their project as “time critical”. So there is no slow time. Again, you seem to disagree with our decision making. That’s fine. But it is our decision to make.

I feel ya, Kevin.

I’m in the same boat where there really isn’t a good time to upgrade. I do, however open a few days for doing upgrades and testing to be certain things are at least tested for a little time before committing to service. Just remember to do an image of your drive before you upgrade, if you don’t have a recent one. That has saved my rear a few times.

Good luck with the upgrade.

You shouldn’t lose any custom settings.
They usually get left behind if they have been saved already.
I always make an XML save for each possible set of prefs - meters only, all prefs, workspaces etc.
Anything you make will (should) remain when you uninstall/reinstall as Pal suggests

The Nuendo (and Cubase) preferences folder isn’t touched at all when doing an uninstall.
No worries.

If you still worry! Do a copy of %appdata%\Nuendo 5\

P

That’s both what I thought - and also do on a regular basis

Hello,
I have the same problem. I am running XP with service pack 3 on an INTEL pc with dual quad core. Uninstalling Nuendo 5 and reinstalling from the CD did not solve the problem.What to do??

Thanks

Please contact support.

http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=27

Fredo

Hello Fredo,
I did contact the support, but all the advices and instructions did not solve my problem. I am running Windos XP SP 3. The previous updates could be installed without any problems. It seems to me, that the installer application is the problem with this update(5.1.1)
Hope this will be solved with at least the next update. Anyway, a comment on my suspicion would be very helpful.

Regards

Carsten