5.1 etc surround in windows 7

I want to be able to load a DVD into my music computer and listen to the soundtrack in 5 or 6 channel surround. A task perfectly easy in even the most basic domestic sound card or device. When I try to reconfigure my UR824, the sound card to which my speakers are attached, to 5.0 surround etc in Windows 7 I find that the controls are greyed/frozen out.

I seem to remember doing this not so long ago with a precious driver version. I’m running the latest 1.5 driver/firmware release. Thanks in advance!

Dave

Hi Dave,

It’s not going to work, and this is not a flaw in the UR824.

Many PC sound cards (Sound Blaster, etc) are designed for music, simple recording, gaming and video (movie) playback. Many of these same sound cards have dedicated 5.1 surround outputs. That being said, these same basic sound cards have built-in decoders for Dolby and DTS 5.1 sound tracks on a typical DVD. This allows you to pop in a DVD, watch it in Media Player (or other player), select the 5.1 Dolby/DTS sound track, and then the sound card “decodes” and plays the 5.1 surround sound audio. Since these sound cards are designed for entertainment purposes, they are very common.

But the UR824 is a professional multi-channel recording interface with high-end D-Pre’s and capable of recording at 24-bit 192 kHz. It doesn’t have a built in Dolby/DTS decoder because it’s not a device that’s designed for entertainment purposes. In addition, most (if not all) other audio interfaces do not have built-in decoders for the same reason (AVID, Presonus, MOTU, etc).

I use my UR824 for 7.1 surround. JRiver Media Center is my playback software and I use ASIO playback. Since it bypasses the Windows mixer, you can use the eight UR824 outputs however you like. I use a phantom center channel, but copy the LFE channel to the center channel since I have two subwoofers.