5.1 mixes from stereo projects

I’ve just completed stereo mixes for an album project and now wish to create 5.1 mixes. I would like to “save as” the stereo mixes, then reconfigure as 5.1. I have been able to add 5.1 output busses, etc., but would really like to change the stereo group busses to 5.1. Is this possible? One workaround approach I’m considering is creating new groups busses with 5.1 speaker configurations, copying the channel settings from stereo busses to their 5.1 counterparts. Is is possible to copy automation data from the stereo group bus to its 5.1 counterpart?

Thanks!

Hi, I would like to know the exact same thing (mono and stereo tracks in my case).

Thanks …

Greetz
Bart

Nobody here ? …

Hi Bart

Changing a stereo bus into a 5.1. bus is, as far as I now, not possible.

One workaround approach I’m considering is creating new groups busses with 5.1 speaker configurations, copying the channel settings from stereo busses to their 5.1 counterparts. Is is possible to copy automation data from the stereo group bus to its 5.1 counterpart?

I have done some such things as copying automation data from one group to another…but keep in mind that not every plugIn or automated data that works on a stereo track works the same way on a 5.1 track or group. PlugIns that are not 5.1 plugIns will not work at all etc.
But the main question is: How do you want to make the stereo sound into a 5.1 sound?? Through a upmixe? Through a complete new mix?
One way in between would be to just route every one of your stereo groups to a 5.1 group and insert a Upmix Plugin (like AnyMixPro) into every 5.1 group. Then you would have xy 5.1 stems to remix your sound in 5.1

Oswald

Hi, thanks for the info … is it possible to route mono tracks to new 5.1 busses ?

Greetz
Bart

Hi, thanks for the info … is it possible to route mono tracks to new 5.1 busses ?

Yes. Sure. Anything with lower number of channels can be routed to a 5.1 bus.

Oswald

So I can leave the stereo busses as they are and create new 5.1 ones next to them ?

Many thanks

Greetz
Bart

So I can leave the stereo busses as they are and create new 5.1 ones next to them ?

Yes. After routing them to the 5.1 you can pan the stereo signal to any position in the 5.1. For example to left - right, or to front, or to left surround - right surround…or you can use a upmix plugIn, that will spread the sound to all 6 channels (or to some of them)

Oswald

When I know in advance that a stereo & 5.1 will be required the best way I have found is for everything to be a surround project - even a stereo one. Set up the F4 VST Connections to have child busses for front & rear stereo too.
Then you can route everything to the child buss stereo for this mix, and simply reset to the 5.1 (or a group) for the surround mix.