Hi Christoph,
that problem looks serious indeed. Sorry about that.
We have an idea what may be the cause. We’ll investigate and let you know.

Thorsten

Thanks, Thorsten - it is great that finally someone is commenting this annoying issue. I will continue in the dedicated thread.

Hey guys! It’s been forever since I’ve posted. I haven’t bothered upgrading from 4.3 until now but I think I’ll be doing so tomorrow.

Basically I have a project where I had a well known drummer and in general he did a great job but on the first song he hadn’t really settled in yet and there are tempo fluctuations. What I need to know is…do the new multitrack quantizing features really work? The old style of doing hitpoints and slices etc just made me glaze over in N4 and I never got into it. I have a song that I don’t’ want to copy/paste sections on, I need to retain his whole performance. Standard 3 minute pop tune with about 12 tracks of drums. It was done to a click so there is a set tempo to follow.

Does it work? How difficult? Brandy’s review of 5.5.3 makes me nervous but then I never have more than 60-70 tracks and even that’s pretty rare. Most projects under 48.

Thanks in advance and nice to see you all again!

I would use Cubase till they fixed the tempotrack issue… Or Use 5.5.2 - for drumediting it is great, just the lanes are messed up and unusable. This was fixed in 5.5.3. Well…

The drumquantize stuff is working great… but… you are talking about half a song… why not doing it just by hand?

I was and I am editing mostly by hand, even if I have to move every drumhit. When the parts are easy the quantize feature is a great time-safer, but you will come to a good result without that as well - even better because you can manually control each single hit… Half a song of a standard-rock/pop song will take maybe just 30 minutes when done by hand… 10 minutes with quanztise… 10 min = 8 min fixing some hits, 2 minutes for the other stuff. Be carefull to not have lifeless drums in the end…

It’s not a perfect 1/2 of the song. It’s drifting throughout. I’ve looked at doing it by hand and it’s pretty crazy. I’m not sure it will work with quantizing either but I ordered N5 so we’ll see. I don’t know, even to do it by hand, I will wait until I have the better grouping in N5.5. I have 12 tracks of drums.

I almost never use the tempo track so it sounds like 5.5.3 will be best for me, but I did watch your video and it’s troubling. Hopefully it will be addressed very soon in a maintenance update.

I don’t own Cubase, but I appreciate your advice.

Well, I recently talked to Thorsten via Fon and it seems that they are able to fix it soon. I really hope they do. Maybe it would be a good idea to communicate this here, in the forum…?

Regarding grouping: You can group the events in N4 as well, but it is more easy when they are solid all over because you have to select them by hand before - it is not possible if you have already hundreds of snippets on your tracks. My workflow was to hit a keytroke (for grouping) directly after I stopped recording the take. That way the events of one take are all selected still and that keystroke is so much in “me” that I still hit that key after hitting stop - even if I do not need to manually group them.

One thing regarding the tempotrack bug, Brandys overkill projects vs small projects…

Yesterday I had to open the 560 track monster project because we needed to do a video-edit of one song (haha, 13 min song stripped down to 5 min… was not making sence anymore (musically) but well…).

The project is 96 GB big (pool) - 80 min long, 560 tracks - very very dedicated routing, truckloads of automation. Needs 10 min to open. I opened in N5.5.3 64 bit (mixed in 5.5.2) - was editing and stuff… NO (!!!) f*ckin problem with sluggish cursor etc !! Tempotrack is of course ultra-complex, because this is 80 min of complex music… Not one single problem!!!

On the same day I was working on a small Stem-Mastering for a 7’’ release - 5 short songs, each of them with 5-8 stereotracks… very few edits, the complete project is about 7 min at all - CPU is about 5%… SLUGGISH AS F*CK!!! I was not able to do some basic editing (cutting count ins and breaks) - till I disabled the tempotrack (was no problem because there was no tempotrack, but my projects have enabled tempotrack by def).

Does this make sence?? I would be under the impression that the sluggish problem would be at maximum regarding the big (VERY big) project and would be almost not there in that mini-mini-project…

Brandy

It makes perfect sense and is actually reassuring. That nature of the bug should make it easier to isolate and fix. You might want to turn off that default until they fix it :slight_smile:

Oh! How is it with the 64 bit version of N5.5? Is it worth using now? Will 32bit plugins work ok?

Turning it of is only possible in either mastering sessions or “punkrock” style sessions were no click is used…

Regarding 64bit: It runs perfect, regarding the application itself - make sure to use jBridge to bridge the UAD plugins, the internal bitbridge will freeze Nuendo in bigger sessions, 10-20 UAD plugins are runing fine, but at some point another plugin will cause a freeze.

Powercore Plugins are working great with internal bridging. Waves are finaly 64bit… Sonnox, PSP, Voxengo, Slate etc are 64bit since a while and working like they should.

I use both, 32 and 64 bit here.

most of the car or truck use to towing purpose is high power engine so it will be easy for them to tow.