5 5 5 5!

:rofl:

Jesper

1 Like

Looks very very(!) nice. As Finale user I really want to try the full scope and not just the SE version to get a full and proper impression of Dorico 5 - e.g, with scrubbing. I donā€™t get why you would put the link to the trial download everywhere on the websites and then just say oh no sorry it takes a couple of weeks still(??).

Welcome to the forum, @musinaut. Sorry if the web site still has links to the trial version ā€“ some things on the web site take a little while to be updated after the pages go live, and perhaps some links are temporarily still available.

Thanks @dspreadbury - just scraped in then! Canā€™t go any higher on my machines at the moment.

Thank you Daniel and to all the team for this again gorgeous update!!! I am now updating my iMac to Catalina, only for Dorico :heart: :grinning:
Very exited to use it!!

I suspect it would be very similar to the Dorico 5 Wish List.

The requests are ignored anyway so itā€™s all a waste of time.

What a ridiculous time to post something like this???

7 Likes

Why? Even fewer things from the wish lists have been implemented than I expected and I had very low expectations. Daniel has said in the past that user requests donā€™t influence what the team decides to work on anyway.

No, thatā€™s not what I said. What I have said is that Dorico development is not run via a democratic process, or indeed even a ā€œsqueaky wheel gets the greaseā€ process. We have our own long-term vision for the software which we hope is well-aligned with what the broad base of our customers, and prospective customers, want and need, and we work towards that in steps that we hope make sense thematically, while delivering useful functionality, and within the constraints that exist on our development (such as time, money, personnel, competing projects, business objectives, etc., etc.).

What I also say is, if you donā€™t find $100-worth of value in the update, donā€™t buy it. Weā€™ll continue to work on the software at the same pace as always, and weā€™ll no doubt come around to some of the things that matter more to you in due course. At that point, weā€™ll have earned the money, and hopefully you will be happy to pay it. In the meantime, hold on to your money, and wait and see what future updates will bring.

22 Likes

Itā€™s tristis. What did you expect?

4 Likes

I do apologise for intruding into your club.

Iā€™m surprised if you think the Dorico 6 wish list will be much shorter than that for Dorico 5.

Bagsie ā€œnot itā€ this year

Some cool new features. The ability to move stuff by mouse is great ā€“ I love using the keyboard, but sometimes I just wanna mouse around.

Love the scrub playback and follow playhead features!

Anthony is right ā€“ I absolutely love the ā€œdouble-tap keystrokeā€ for dotted note input!

This wasnā€™t mentioned but Iā€™m wondering ā€“ has Roman Numeral analysis been added? Iā€™m always surprised itā€™s not already been a thing, since itā€™s a very common approach for musical study. (Yes, I use the font MusAnalysis, but itā€™s far from perfect and I have to do a lot of hacks to make it work sometimes)

Iā€™m pretty sure I read in another thread that it hasnā€™t yet, but is definitely on the radar.

Why would it be? There are always going to be new features and requests.

Looks like some nice new features - well done Dorico team. I especially like the idea of double tapping for dotted notes and the instrument editor.

I must confess Iā€™m surprised that Engrave mode hasnā€™t been updated, and also sad that proper choral divisi is still basically impossible without a workaround.

Iā€™ll probably end up updating though - a testament to my investment in the project. Fingers crossed for more advancements soon.

1 Like

I agree MusAnalysis could do with a refresh, I just havenā€™t had the courage to dig back into it. I would be very willing for someone else to take it on; Iā€™d be happy to share some of the particulars of how things are set up. Itā€™s really not alchemy once you learn some of the OpenType functionality!

2 Likes

I understand your position of course. Iā€™m sometimes puzzled that your team isnā€™t expanded if its small size is limiting development but obviously thatā€™s not a matter Iā€™d expect to be discussed publicly. I also fear occasionally that things have simply moved on since Doricoā€™s conception and that the printed page will never again have the same importance.

Youā€™ve missed my point. Iā€™m suggesting that a wish list for Dorico 6 would probably be almost the same as the wish list for Dorico 5.

I remember when that was first suggested (the proposer should probably receive some credit - Iā€™ll try to track down his post when I get a moment) and Daniel immediately recognised that it was a good idea.