5 serious crashes this morning, Steinberg VST issues?

GPU and Cubase aren’t the only vector of error here, the OS is part of it. If you google GTX 970 Windows 10 problems, it does return some results.

Not saying it is the problem, but, is the GTX series not from Windows 7 era? the only GTX series NVIDIA lists on their website is the GTX 16 series 1650 or 1660.

But I would definitely keep trying to resolve this with your current setup.

edit

I’ll add, that reformatting my computer and starting fresh has resolved issues for me in the past.

Thanks, i takes toy point but I’m not convinced. The drivers maybe, but nothing points to the card itself being incompatible or fault as such. If if not compatible then Steinberg need to say this so i can move on.
Ive has less issues with this card than i did at the beginning with the others, and ive had all sorts of issues with all of them, so I’m not convinced getting another card will fix this. If i was to ask for recommendation I’m pretty sure ill get a load of Nvida suggestions, or people telling me they worked fine, and others with different brands, so nothing conclusive anyway.
My card is still currently supported with the latest drivers but ive gone back to an earlier version to see if that helps.

there’s far too many variables for Steinberg to comment on what could or will not work. It’s really just up to the user to do the research and work and as an audio engineer - engineer as system that works for them.

Yeah, thats my point. Its all guess work, and there is no evidence that its any one specific thing. And not any one brand of GPU, which is why I’m not going to spend more money on hardware when its pretty clear its a software issue.
Unless there is any evidence its not of course.

Well it can always be a software issue… You could take a graphics card from 20 years ago, and still say it’s a software issue… but it’s not really reasonable.

Motherboard
CPU
GPU
Operating System
Software

those are all vectors for error, anyone could cause problems for any of the others. I can’t use Cubase 11 on my desktop because it is Windows 7, and I can’t upgrade my desktop Windows 7 to Windows 10 because my motherboard doesn’t have architecture that supports Windows 10. Is it still a software issue? You could say it is because they could have made Cubase 11 for Windows 7 - but is it sensible to make software for discontinued OS? Where do they draw the line? Why not make it for Windows XP to? Because none if any of the graphic elements would work in Windows XP among many other things.

You’re trying to use a (If I’m not mistaken), Windows 7 era graphic card on Windows 10 for software that is for Windows 10 only. That sounds like to me, it could cause some problems. From what I can see, that GPU was released a year (2014) before Windows 10 (2015). Whether or not it had compatibility for Win10 I’m not sure - obviously to some degree it does, but to what extent without running into problems I’m not sure.

I know games are not a test of compatibly, but i can happily run up to date games like Cyberpunk etc, without any issues, other than obviously not at the highest settings.
If there were issues with the hardware or OS games like this would show them. I can do multi part video editing on large 4k files without one single crash. In fact nothing i have crashes other than CB. I have never seen a program that just disappears without warning. This is unique to how CB has been programmed IMO.

Its totally irrelevant when the card came out, unless Steinberg want to say otherwise. Its currently supported by the latest drivers. Ive seen others having issue and they have more up to date cards, and others saying they have no issues with older cheaper cards. Ive read of people running CB using the onboard graphics on an i5 CPU.

I have issues with preset widows opening up half off screen, to name but one 100% repeatable graphics bug in CB. CB is a very sophisticated piece of software, amazing really, but there are bound to be bugs in it. its a shame the official response seems to be its the users hardware and not ‘our software’, or no response at all.

Yeah, I think all these different applications are used differently by the OS and GPU. Games are pixel based, programs are becoming vector based. is one difference.

Like you, I can run games like COD Warzone, but I’m having drawing issues in Cubase 11. I have the 960m for an MSI laptop. Others have told me, they’ve had issues with old Windows 10 laptops and older GPU.

Other than reformatting your computer and starting from scratch, I would try using older drivers. It’s possible even a Windows update causes new problems for a GPU that was working previously.

In terms of the GPU drivers, you have the latest for the 960 - 466.27 Apr 29, 2021?

I would try one of the ones back in December 2020 like 460.89

I found one on google that is older as well 431.60 jul23 2019
www. nvidia. com /en-us/drivers/results/148865/

but make sure you backup your computer before you start toying, and be mentally prepared to just do a clean install reformat if things go south.

At the moment I’m running driver version 452.xxx which was suggested by Steinberg. That sort of help is very much appreciated and although i don’t know if it helps, its something im happy to try. Same as not running in Admin mode and disabling Dropbox (which seemed to make a good improvement in stability)

I dont play a lot of games as such, but i do have a few that i like to pass some time in.
I’m not adverse to doing a clean install of the OS if i was having OS issues, but i don’t feel i am. PC runs nice and smooth, no other issue and everything working as it should. Strange but its never been suggested i re install the application that I’m having issues with, which I’d have though would be the first port of call and not the whole OS.
I’m very used to hitting Ctrl+S after doing most things in CB, which isnt ideal but its been a huge time saver when the issues appear.

This offers some advice on how to set up the computer to catch what might be causing the problem. You can Write an event to the system log and it may help pinpoint the actual issue:

Based on your dump file the issue is an access violation, basically the program tried to reference memory at one location that the program doesn’t have access to. This could be a Cubase issue, this could also be a hardware issue. Have you tried reinstalled Cubase and any plugins you are using? It’s possible your install has become corrupt.

SYMBOL_NAME:  Cubase11+283932c

MODULE_NAME: Cubase11

IMAGE_NAME:  Cubase11.exe

STACK_COMMAND:  ~0s ; .ecxr ; kb

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  NULL_CLASS_PTR_READ_c0000005_Cubase11.exe!Unknown

OS_VERSION:  10.0.19041.1

BUILDLAB_STR:  vb_release

OSPLATFORM_TYPE:  x64

OSNAME:  Windows 10

No, ive not yet re installed anything. is there a guide to doing this where i can save my preferences and set ups etc or do i just need to start again?

Since my last post ive not used CB until today. I used it in user mode rather than Admin mode. Got a crash almost straight away when i opened Halion in an empty project. Everything froze and i had a loud, constant noise. I had to force quit CB.
Then it wouldn’t re opine as it sai0 di had no licences installed. This was of course because POS doesn’t close down unless i use Admin mode. Back to Admin mode, and then another crash related to graphics2.dll.
All in the spaces of 10mins with an empty project.

Hi,

I recommend to use Edit > Profile Manager and export your currently used profile.

Cubase Preferences folders are:
Mac: ~/Library/Preferences/Cubase X
Win: %appData% Steinberg/Cubase X_64

I’m wondering if your problem is related to mine. I just posted today that I get the BSOD after reinstalling Cubase 10.5.

I’ve reinstalled Win10 4 times in the last 3 weeks. It seems to run fine until I reinstall Cubase, which I did again yesterday and woke up today to the BSOD. I used the Restore Point from 5 days ago which removed Cubase and my system is working again.

Thanks Martin.
I’m wondering is disabling HiDPI might be worth a shot? Seeing as how everything seems to be related to the graphics system.
CB ran fine all day yesterday, with HiDIP off. A bit more work moving around the interface etc.
Ill see if this helps before moving to re installing anything.

I don’t have any issues with BSOD as such, but I’m starting to realise that once CB crashes, even though everything seems to be fine with the PC, CB stays problematic until i reboot the PC, even if everything else is working fine on the PC.
Very time consuming to say the least.