6.0.4 update installer does not work - again!

no I didn’t. I used this trick with 6.0.3. Now with 6.0.4 I want to know why I can’t use the 6.0.4 installer as it is…

I’d like an explanation from Steinberg why the installer crashes if possible…

If push comes to shove I can always use Pixie’s method, just isn’t right…

I’d like an explanation from Steinberg why the installer crashes if possible…

Because something else (firewall?) is getting in the way. They would not know what, on your system, is the culprit. But try turning off any virus checkers and firewalls first then try an install.
Not read the whole thread so apologies if this has already been suggested.

already said earlier that I did all of that…

Did you try this?
https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/the-cubasecubase-artist-602-update-cannot-be-installed/kb_back/2020.html
J.L.

jaslan you’re the man!

I have to say I tried a few other compatibility modes myself and also had ‘run as admin’ ticked. But I did not try ‘XP Service Pack 2’

It works!

Steinberg really should add this in a read me file to the installer!

many thanks! this is what’s great about a forum!

Glad to help!
J.L.

So the moral of this story is?

I don’t get your question… but let me sum it up for you in case you can’t do it yourself…

The moral of the story is that it wasn’t my fault and Steinberg should have added in a Read ME file that certain users have to tick compatibility mode in the Properties and set it to ‘XP Mode SP2’ and tick ‘run as admin’ when the installer crashes. BTW if you select any other of the 11 possible comp modes the installer crashes again.
There must be an incompatibility with the Steinberg installer and certain versions of Windows 7 x64 with SP 1 and all updates installed.

There was a similar problem with iTunes for many months and it would crash/freeze when you connect your iPhone. Apple would not respond to many many users running W7 x64 complaining and drove them up the walls, many selling their phones until I found out you have to tick a similar thing with the only difference in that case it was ‘run in comp. mode for Windows 7’, as it had a problem with the SP 1.

That’s not the way it works at all. Even if there is an issue with his setup and Cubase interacting, then the issue is still with Cubase and how it’s been made to handle a certain environmental circumstance, or if it has been at all. And software issues very commonly only affect a minority of people.

In this case the problem was that there is a bug with the compatibility of Steinberg’s installer which affects some systems, and they either haven’t pinpointed the cause of it yet, or have deemed that they’ve got more important things to fix and have instead supplied a workaround. It’s humourous that to solve the issue people have to select to run it in compatibility mode for Win XP, when Win XP isn’t even supported for Cubase 6.