6.03 - Automation points: Bug or By Design?

I have to agree. I don’t need to see the points unless I am editing them. The curves without points are enough to see what is happening on the track.

You clearly missed the discussion several of us had a number of posts back where there are instances, like the tempo track, where there are minute changes that are invisible without actually seeing the points.

Well actually I did not miss it, you can still see the minor changes in the tempo while zoomed out when not seeing the block handles. Even when there are 1 bpm changes.
How minute are the changes that you are not able to see?

+1 also. Liking the cleaner look. Great work Steinberg!

Well, that would depend on the Tempo Track’s height, wouldn’t it?

Here are two screenshots of the same Tempo Track (the 2nd one has a lightly bigger horizontal zoom). There is a tempo change (jump) from the initial 120 BPM to 121 BPM somewhere along that visible timeline (I deliberately positioned it such that it wouldn’t be masked by any vertical gridline). The 121 BPM event is in fact highlighted, and its value is displayed in the Info Line…

Zooming in a little makes it visible…

And of course the problem is the same with Automation nodes… where we might very well need to compare automation curves on two different tracks… possibly while zoomed out quite drastically (where of course the nodes would be visible only on the lane where the cursor is)

Yes, it would depend on zoom level.
Well here is how it looks to me.
It is a a 1 bpm tempo chage over 1 bar then a 2 bpm tempo change over 2 bars zoomed out fairly wide.
As you can see, it is clear there is tempo changes even without the blocks.
tempo.JPG

Exactly my point. And I’m not suggesting we disable hiding of handles; just have a preference setting to toggle it and/or have a zoom point at which they appear/disappear (similar to how now with 6.0.3 we can set at which track zoom height part names & data appear)

Most people (that I’m aware of) don’t have tempo tracks nearly that large in height. It’s just not practical for anyone who works in film/TV/media with a lot of tempo changes and need to see their tempo track at all times next to the timecode rulers. Two or three lanes in height at most is typical. And at that zoom level, it’s very difficult to differentiate tempo changes at cursory glance - and sometimes impossible (as johngar illustrated).

+1 for the preference setting for this…

Yes, a preference setting for this would be great.

The balance of opinion seems to be that the visibility of automation points should be a preference. Then it could be turned on/off with a keypress. I’d be happy with that.

Let me repeat myself: although this new behaviour might look elegant to some (apparently it does and I can sort of understand it) for EDITING this is a complete nonsense! I very often change values (with mouse) in Info Line panel (one point / several points / several points on several tracks) at the same time, and for this I need to SEE which points are selected.
And as I said before if I zoom out a bit more I can’t see the points at all even if I do hover over the automation lane.
I went back to 6.0.2 and am happy again (for now) as I can live without the new features / fixes (although they are nice). I would like to make use of them in the next update though…

So Steiny, please make this a Preference option :bulb:

I just noticed that this “Undocumented feature” is indeed mentioned already in “Version_History_Known_issues_and_solutions.pdf” for 6.0.1 ! Thus I should consider myself to be lucky it only (sort of) “works” (e.g. breaks the workflow) in 6.0.3 (for me at least) - otherwise I could not use Cubase 6 at all…

+1 for this, and more preferences in general. I want a key command for everything :smiling_imp: muahahahah

Perhaps someone from Steinberg would care to comment on this and whether adding the option would be possible? I for one didn’t have the feature until 6.03, prior to that I could always see the handles.

It is very frustrating now and I am finding other times that it is affecting my workflow. For example when you can’t Zoom right in as you have automation spread out, and you try to select them, it’s very difficult to tell what you are selecting. Also if you want to manually change a value then they disappear and I have to keep checking I have the right one/s selected as I can’t see them. Having to zoom right in and then back out every time is a real pain.

I keep deleting them by mistake as well due to not realizing they are selected when I am trying to delete something else.

Let me repeat myself: although this new behaviour might look elegant to some (apparently it does and I can sort of understand it) for EDITING this is a complete nonsense! I very often change values (with mouse) in Info Line panel (one point / several points / several points on several tracks) at the same time, and for this I need to SEE which points are selected.
And as I said before if I zoom out a bit more I can’t see the points at all even if I do hover over the automation lane.
I went back to 6.0.2 and am happy again (for now) as I can live without the new features / fixes (although they are nice). I would like to make use of them in the next update though…

So Steiny, please make this a Preference option

+1

Steinberg, please notice this (this can happen very easily).

This problem is enough to make me stay on 6.0.2

This is a step backwards for the way I work. Especially when it comes to being locked out of my automation points by the horizontal zoom level. That is unworkable for me.

Please revert to the previous system or at least make it a selectable preference.

Thanks

• 1 !!!