6.05 - Outboard gear "ping" malfunction fixed?

100% perfectamundo, thank you Mr. Roos! I see what you mean by on-the-fly … that’s cool …
But this part

saved me probably the better part of a weekend of lost time - the EFX treated-track CANNOT be manually aligned!
But most importantly, these are THE MAGIC WORDS:

So, now I know - if it isn’t working, it’s me - not Cubase - so I just keep trying. It’s the nagging feeling that even after hours of beating on it, it might NOT work that is so draining. But knowing it can work - sleeves rolled up, Red Bull at the side - there’s nothing that can’t be done!

In all seriousness - thanks so much, Mr. Roos - really great info!

Just to be clear, I said the ping on analog gear is basically zero. I didn’t mean that the ping value would be zero, just that the time through a bit of analog gear would be very, very small ie irrelevant. Of course there is still the original DA/AD delay to consider.

not irrelevant at all…a few ms converter latency is all it takes to throw off the phase of a multimic’d drum kit. Or the multiple mics on an amp…or if you’re trying to do parallel compression.

Small, but not close to trivial. In fact, if it didn’t work, I would not be using Cubase. I demo’d PT 10 on my Echo (non Avid) hardware…and it did not work consistently. Thus I stayed. One feature.

Re-read what I wrote!

If the delay through analog gear was a problem then all analog studios with analog outboard would be knackered. It’s the hidden buffers and small DA/AD delay that are not accounted for, that a ping through analog gear compensates, and is a very small figure, as the buffer delay is already accounted for.