6/4 note grouping

I am in Dorico 3. Can’t figure out how to get this rhythmic grouping.
beaming 1.png
While still keeping it in 6/4. When I use [1+2+1+8]/8 it switches to 12/8.
beaming 2.png

That’s not the correct note grouping for 6/4, that’s why. 6/4 is dotted half plus dotted half, so you have to display the half bar. I haven’t tried it, but I bet the last time chain there is dotted quarter tied to dotted half, which is correct.

You need to use Force Duration if you really want to write it that way. And you shouldn’t. I only offer that because it’s the reason Dorico isn’t doing what you want.

If you want this, try [2+2+2]/4 or [1+1+1+1+1+1]/4.

As Dankreider said this Is not “conventional” note grouping, but some modern composers use any time signature of “x/4” to mean just “x” quarter-note beats. In other words 5/4, 6/4 and 7/4 are all interpreted the same way - 5, 6, or 7 beats in a bar.

I’d love to be a pita about the difference between 3/2 and 6/4, but I play more ‘wrong’ 6/4 music than right these days. That bird has flown…

The basic problem is that a time signature notation that was derived from Renaissance mensural notation doesn’t have a notation for “6 equal beats in a bar”, because mensural notation only counted in 2s and 3s.

But why is a notation program written in the 21st century still doggedly adhering to mediaeval conventions? Even Stravinsky in 1912 used 6/4 and other bar sizes without always implying any conventional hierarchy of beats. Why try to tell contemporary composers that this is not allowed?

David

I’m not telling anybody something is not allowed. Composers can write anything they like, so long as they realize that performers might misunderstand it!

If you want to write 6 beats in a bar with an unusual rhythm, there is nothing to stop you writing a time signature like 2+3+1/6 which should be clear enough to everybody.