6.5 and multi-track warp

hi folks,

i was very pleased to see multi-track warp introduced in 6.5.

a scenario i often have is a multi-mic’d guitar part, say two or three mics, placed in a group edit folder, that needs a gentle nudge here and there timing wise. i see in the new features pdf it emphasises that using audiowarp in this scenario does not retain phase-coherency (understandable), but does anyone have any experience yet of how well the new multi-track warp works in this scenario? will gentle editing of multi-mic’d acoustic guitar parts work ok? this is somethiing i’ve wanted to be able to do for a while.

with regards lanes, one feature that logic has that i love, and wish cubase would introduce, is being able to save and recall different comps of the same takes. great feature.

cheers.

I haven’t used it yet, but I think it was introduced in 6.0.

i don’t think this was available in version 6. its mentioned in the new features of 6.5.

thinking about it tho, i’m wondering if it will do exactly what i’m hoping, which is you warp a part on one track in an edit group, and it applies the same warp to the other tracks in that edit group. that’s what you definitely CAN’T do at the moment in 6.05.

anybody tried this yet? i’m probably gonna go ahead and upgrade anyway as i like the sound of the lane enhancements, but just curious ahead of time…

[quote=“whatsisname22”]i don’t think this was available in version 6. its mentioned in the new features of 6.5.

i’m wondering if it will do exactly what i’m hoping, which is you warp a part on one track in an edit group, and it applies the same warp to the other tracks in that edit group. that’s what you definitely CAN’T do at the moment in 6.05.

Yes it can :slight_smile:

Steinberg Cubase 6 new features
Perhaps this just meant moving slices on multiple tracks and not warping audio. This was what I was thinking of.

Multitrack audio quantization

In Cubase 6 rhythmic audio material can be quantized just like any MIDI material, offering numerous possibilities to fix timing issues and to change the groove of live-recorded drums. To preserve phase relationships between tracks, the individual slices on all tracks are still grouped and moved at once. Cubase automatically creates cross-fades between slices to ensure seamless transitions between them and fill gaps that might be introduced during quantization. A few clicks, and all drum tracks are matched to the bass drum, snare or whatever source or sources are desired. With the Slice Rules you can decide which sources will get a higher priority during slicing.

hi fizbin - yes that’s right, you could always slice and move etc in the edit groups, but not audiowarp, until now. looking forward to trying this out…

I’m guessing on long sustained notes you’ll hear some phasing, the more you stretch. It makes sense though, because the algorithm has to process each track separately, making judgments on where to stretch, insert and blend grains, etc, for each one individually. I’m betting you’ll have best results if you use the exact same algorithm settings on all tracks, and maybe better too if one of them is the predominant track, while others are mixed back a bit.

Just some guessing there. Hope it works out for you.

Im on 6.5.1

Using the free warp isn’t working with group editing for me.

I have multitrack stems and are all in a folder with the group edit button activated.

When I go to the drum track to put it to the grid using free warp, the other don’t move with it.

Am I doing it wrong?

hmm… don’t like the sound of that. i haven’t upgrded to 6.5 yet, but what you describe is similar to alot of what i would like to be able to do with it.

anyone else got freewarp working in group edit across all tracks?

Is this the new AudioWarp inside the Quantise panel we are talking about…? New in 6.5.?

Hmm… Got a session next month I’ll be bringing back here to play around with and experiment. I’m with whatsismame22 - sounds like EXACTLY what i too would like this facility to do

EDIT - so, I just go over to Steinberg tv at MusikMesse Day 4; what does this edition open with…? Have a look. :slight_smile: :smiley:
Multitrack editing using AudioWarp definitely should work…!
http://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandevents/events/2012/musikmesse_2012.html

I was just talking about the free warp within the editor window… It doesn’t apply the same shift to the other tracks within the group/folder

any news regarding this?

Audiowarp quantize is what was was introduced in 6.5. You can set hitpoints & quantize from the quantize panel only…it’s not possible to gently tweak any timing by hand.

Freewarp still only works on single tracks.
Seems like a few people have read multi track audiowarp quantize & assumed multitrack freewarp is possible, but for the time being this isn’t the case.

ok great, thanks for the response.

so if I had a multitrack from a song. 5 tracks.

Would the best thing to do, free warp the drums on to the beat, then use audio quantise feature for the rest, with the drum track i have edited as the top priority?

Are you trying to line up free timed playing to a tempo you set or just to tidy up dodgy timing of material that is already played to the click??

thanks, I am trying to line up free timed playing to a tempo Ive set.

Its an old multitrack of a janis joplin song. 5 stems and its roughly 127 bpm. I want to make them all on the click. I thought if i put them all in a folder and group edited the drums, the other tracks would change the same.

Since this is not possible, whats the best way?

ok that’s pretty disappointing that freewarp is not group track enabled, only quantise. meh…

I am trying to line up free timed playing to a tempo Ive set

Create a tempo map to match the audio, set definition from tempo on all the audio then switch the track to musical mode & fix the tempo.

In theory you could use detect tempo to create a tempo map, but chances are you’ll need to do it manually.