7.5 Presets Question: Data Storage

As many have remarked, when you install 7.5 it doesn’t migrate yer settings… including key commands and Logical Editor. Apparently just copying the XML files over does the trick.

My question is: -why-. This is not troll thing. Are those presets now stored somewhere else going forward?

What I mean is: once you start creating new key command or LE presets are they still going to be stored in the same XML files or are they now incorporated into some other black box database along with ‘media bay’ and the various VSTPresets?

I’ve been trying to make a list of all the ‘stuff’ I’d need to back up/restore for the next ‘upgrade’ or failure. It’s a pretty long list… for example, a Toontrack lib puts files in like 5 different places. NI apps do the same.

I don’t know why settings aren’t being copied over, but I know nothing has changed regarding the settings and prefs file locations. Also, what do you mean ‘black box database’?

I guess I meant mediabay… or the vstpresets files.

For some reason I thought all presets were being folded into the mediabay ‘db’. There are like 3 dozen separate XML file -types- for all these different doodads. Since the UI is the same for a lot of these things, my first thought was that they were trying somehow to consolidate—which would be a fine idea IMHO.

I don’t wanna bother adding new presets if they aren’t being saved to the same places. What just got me started on this is the LE acts kinda funny with one of my old presets.

After a new version or a clean install, I have often tried to import my KC’s and Pref’s, however, although in theory they say it’s possible, those xml files are either grayed out or unreadable. So in practice, I just input them one by one all over again.
Maybe I’m just too old to search the forum for any practical ways to do that, or even bother… :laughing:

There is an import button in the KC dialog that only works with files created by old versions of Cubase, like Cubase SX 1, I think. A true relic, with unclear documentation, I’m afraid.

The files in the presets folder:

~/Library/Preferences/Cubase 7.5/Presets/

can be selected from the ‘Presets’ dropdown menus In Preferences and in the KC dialog. and you can copy it from

~/Library/Preferences/Cubase 7/Presets/

If that doesn’t work there’d have to be something else wrong with your installation.

Yes, of course. :wink: or you can grab your walker and shuffle over to https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/cubase-and-nuendo-program-preferences-files-in-detail/ and check out the list.

1. You can just copy the XML files over… that’s what I do.

2. OTOH, one shouldn’t have to.

That ‘Knowledge Base’ is very much like Cubase… there’s a ton of stuff there. Navigating it is another story.

Ironic, no?

Yet another senseless post by the OP. :unamused:

I seem to have no problem backing up the appropriate files from version to version, user since SX3. KB explains everything if you aren’t too lazy to read through it. Plenty of posts on the forum, also. :unamused:

Different avatars. Same snotty people.