8.0.20 Hanging on exit is worse

If this is a rhetorical question, I will also ask you this: Are you a programmer?

If you are, you should already know that there are tools, conventions, debuggers and various tricks available.
If you’re not a developer, at least agree that the less fortunate 10% might deserve a little help.

I started having the same issue consistently after I upgraded to 8.0.20. Every time i would try to exit the program it would hang, show up as “Not Responding” in the Task Manager, which is where I would have to end the process to get the program to close completely.

I did a search on the forums and found this thread: viewtopic.php?f=226&t=70982&hilit=8.0.20+hangs+exit

I then remembered that I enabled ASIO Guard at some point after I upgraded to 8.0.20 to see if would offer any performance gains. So after reading that thread, I disabled the ASIO Guard again and now I’m able to close the program as expected without it hanging.

hth,
-Barry

Just for the record… This has happened to me on all versions since probably 6. I blame it on the Virus TI and deal with it. Wish it would go away though!

does that happen in other Daw? also , have you tried? [SOLVED]crash on exit-Peaks-crashy vsts? Read this!) - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

I tried above tip regarding ASIO Guard, and to my surprise it changed behavior of hanging on exit. I did the following: disabled Asio Guard, closed Cubase, restarted Cubase, enabled Asio Guard back, closed Cubase again and restarted it again.

After disabling Asio Guard I tried exiting, and I got crash on exit, but with a difference. Cubase didn’t get stuck in Task Manager anymore, but I was able to close Cubase by hitting cancel in crash report. After that I enabled Asio Guard back, and it didn’t change back to worse. Now I have Asio Guard enabled, and it crashes on exit with simple error window, which I just close and Cubase then closes. No more need to restart computer. And sometimes now it even exits without crash. So it is much better after disabling/restarting/enabling Asio Guard.

So it seems it was something with settings around Asio Guard. Probably flushing some preference file would help too. Steinberg needs to be more careful about their preferences, so many problems because of this. Problem that Cubase has with this kind of crashing seems to be connected with Asio Guard and Cubase’s inability to close asio threads properly.

This Asio Guard trick helped me a lot, maybe it works for someone else too. Hopefully someday Steinberg will finaly fix this so that it works as it should.

No I haven’t, but I’m going to try when I get back home tonight! Thanks!