8.1 is out

http://download.steinberg.net/downloads_software/Nuendo_8/8.1/Nuendo_8.1_Version_History.pdf

Initial tests indicate DOP now works as expected.
I have a picture on my video monitor.
I sucessfully sent a file to RX6 and back.

Let’s see what the next days bring…

Ah, and the Audio Alignment is very easy to operate, it cannot work wonders but it does work. I guess it’s even better for music than post because artefacts are hidden in multiple voices whereas a single voice kind of shows when it’s been stretched. It’s not too bad, though.

I don’t see any “speed” improvements in graphics …! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Do you mean in real life after testing?
There should be some improvement according to version list…
“Improved graphical responseiveness when using Apple devices with 10-bit color display.”

Fixing the Mac graphics issues likely involves making major changes to how things work (which will likely also affect the Windows version), so don’t expect anything before Nuendo 8.5 or Nuendo 9.

If practical, I would recommend switching to Windows at least temporarily. Both Nuendo and Cubase run noticeably smoother there.

One example:

On project with 19 tracks. Sometimes I have to click 3x or more to “re-locate” cursor. Up to version 7 it worked fine!

That is bad. Very bad.
Lucky for me I use windows but I feel your pain…
This is ridiculous…

The amount of fixes to Offline Processing is pretty staggering I think…

Just a recommendation: When you’re doing videos like that which involves reaction time to clicks, see if the capture software can output an indication of when you’re actually clicking. Right now I’m not sure I could see when you were clicking, and so the delay isn’t obvious.

Terrible performance from what I could understand though.

I can confirm the sluggishness when trying to reposition the cursor. FFWD and REW work as expected, though.

I just created a session with 315 tracks from a field recording session and particularly zooming seems to be quite a bit faster for me. All the other things like opening a window, clicking in the timeline (as you showed), opening a plugin window, opening the lower edit area, opening the mixer is still very slow.

I also find scrolling with an external mouse extremely cumbersome as for me, in bigger zoom levels, the project wildly jumps around and scrolls 1 track, or sometimes 4 or 6 or 8 tracks and I completely get lost where I was and first have to find the track or region I was editing. This doesn’t have anything to do with performance but how the arrange window works and scrolls.

So overall it’s a bit better, especially when zooming. But this 10bit fix was a low hanging fruit and doesn’t solve the bigger performance and UI issues on Mac. The increased zooming speed is welcome in my project right now.

Also, nice that DOP now seems to be working (I’ll test that later) and all in all the additions to DOP (saving presets and all) is nice from the idea.

But good god. ANOTHER interface!!??!! It follows nothing I’ve seen in Nuendo, it’s a totally NEW user interface concept with dragging and dropping multiple effects to create those preset boxes in the lower left. And then you have 4 pages where you can put in boxes… The user interface is such a freaking mess. Every dialog looks and works differently / has a different usability paradigm. I haven’t seen any other software that is such a wild west of concepts, ideas, sketches and cruft.

Another cool example: right-clicking on a clip. There in the context menu you see “Transport” 2 times right one after another. Two menu items with the same name, a really good idea.

just tied to apply RX6 de-clicker on a clip and got “process failed” in DOP window.
so, back to nuendo 7.

Nothing special, but however … Why is the “frame” changing color??

For example … If I open project it has “dark top frame”. Then, if I “slide” to another desktop and open other application, Safari, Finder, … and then slide back to Nuendo, this “dark” top frame becomes brighter. UNTIL I open the mixer (F3). Then it becomes dark again. :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

A few years back we noted a difference in what symbols meant in different places. If I remember correctly the issue was that the “power” symbol, the one where when pressed lit up to illustrate that something was turned on, meant “_i_n/bypass” on one page, and “on/off” on another. I think there were a couple of us at that point that got worried because it seemed as if there was no ‘master’ designer responsible for consistency throughout the application. Another example of this is having different visibility agents available on the mix page compared to the project page. There simply is no logical reason for designing such a difference, which means that the only reason it exists is either oversight or lack of communication/cooperation. Either way it was never addressed and that’s a bit worrisome I think. It’s actually worse since a simple bug is a simple bug, but a ‘questionable’ design choice or workflow can have longer lasting implications.

I also remember having seen people request an overhaul of that menu anyway. I find it fairly illogical, and/or poorly labeled…

If the on/off in/bypass was a concern back in the days, there are now so many areas which I could point out. It seems to have gotten a lot worse.

The problem is that when every dialog works totally differently and there is no common ground / shared code, when there’s an error, in my opinion it’s harder to track down as everything works differently. And when you want to re-design things, you have to tackle every little dialog in another manner. I guess that’s why there are so many old UI artifacts, because nobody wants to mess with those.

Anyone other then me have issues renaming tracks? I am on a cintiq and no matter if i use pen or touch i cannot doubleclick to rename tracks anymore.

This has been the last few versions.

There was a wacom bug listed in the Fixes… section of the release notes. but this is something that has been happening for a while now.
Anyone else seeing this?

Note just found out i can doubleclick and rename over on the inspector side but not the track name itself above the record enable button

Oh to clarify… im on mac osx 10.12.6 and this happens with v 7.0.35 and 8.0 and 8.1

Still very slow to use compared to Nuendo 7 here (Windows).

seems normal on this end on the mac side

I spent 2 hours trying to work on N8.1 and sorry, no go for me.

1. rx 6 plugins randomly showing “process failed” and “!” in DOP window
  2. I was able to send and return from RX connect one at three attempts
  3. extending process lenght result in rx connect processing out of sync.
  4. I hit the export audiomixdown shortcut and nuendo crashed.

Maybe it’s just my machine, my bad luck, projects from N7 and so on, but I refuse to use some voodoo workarounds for RX and to buy another 4 licences for rest of the rooms in our studio till this is fixed.
And I really was counting 8.1 will just do it’s job.

Back to N7 for good. If only it didn’t have +24dB bug…