8.5.10 ISSUE - "Video Service Not Responsive" on startup

Cubase Pro 8.5 was running smoothly but I like to have the “latest and greatest” versions so I updated to the new 8.5.10 version. This version issues a video service related warning on startup. See attached screenshot. Is anyone else experiencing this? I’d love to resolve the issue!
Since 8.5.10 on Startup.JPG

Hi,

Please, make sure the Quick Time Player is up-to-date and also the video/graphic card driver is up-to-date.

Thanks for your suggestions Martin. Both are now up to date and the issue still appears once Cubase launch sequence gets to Initializing video player… :frowning:

Similar problem with my BM card.

See attached image.
videoerror.PNG
Card shows in Devices/Video, can be selected and you can even select the output format.
No video, however.

And if you then return to Devices/Video it’s unselected again.
Rinse and Repeat.

Hugh

Edit: The “Video Window” works. No Black Magic Decklink, though.

Cubase’s video service has been completely unreliable for years. From what I gather Steinberg is working on a complete rewrite of the video subsystem. No idea how long it could take before it’s fixed, there are probably more urgent priorities such as a new amp simulator.

Just venting, sorry.

If you don’t need video playback at all in Cubase, find the Windows file equivalent to OSX’s “Cubase.app/Components/videoengine.bundle”, drag it out of the application folder to a place where it can do no further harm, such as the Recycle Bin.

If you write music to picture, I suggest getting a separate video playback application and sync to it via MTC. I ended up purchasing an app called Horae and since then I have one less thing to worry about. If money is no object you can try Video Slave 2.

This may be.

But my Black Magic Decklink 2 has worked flawlessly since I installed it - which was several years back - with Cubase.

This is the first issue I’ve had.

Hugh

Indeed there could be a connection between your issue and mine. Like you, I’ve been using Cubase for the longest time and this is the first update that gives me a warning about video when I launch it. It sucks when something breaks…just when I was loving C 8.5 so much! Are you going to revert back to 8.5.0 ? (not even sure if its possible to uninstall an update)

No. Though you can uninstall an update.

However, the last few boots the Black Magic card has come up as it should.

So . . . maybe it was some kind of “fresh install” thing.
We’ll see. It has been intermittent so we’re not out of the woods quite yet.

Hugh

Hmm, I’m going to contact Steinberg for support I think. Perhaps if they had a full installer of 8.5.10 I could start over…eliminating the possibility that something went funky during the update. Nobody else has chimed in with this particular problem so maybe I’m the lone wolf. On the other hand, maybe most people don’t even know there’s an update available since it doesn’t even say so in the Steinberg Hub at startup!

any news about this bug?
It’s been years that I see this annoying message and I am really getting frustrated as I would like to work on videos within Cubase.
Using Cubase Pro 9.0.1 with OSX 10.11.6.

Hopefully the maintenance update will be issued soon. :wink:

This was posted for the new video engine for Nuendo 8. Maybe a watered down version will be available for CB 9 too?

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/115000808250

But, just wondering why you are not running the latest version of Cubase, v9.0.20?

Regards :sunglasses:

thanks! I totally missed the new version 9.0.2

just installed Cubase 9.0.2 and here we are again at startup of a project…
Screen Shot 2017-06-21 at 2.29.48 PM.png
I’m getting in touch with the support as I really need to work on video stuff for this project and this is really frustrating.

looks like removing the file DVCPROHDMuxer.component helped
I just hope it’s not gonna cause issues in video softwares now, fingers crossed

Fyi… I have seen posts where members reported issues when trying to install maintenance upgrades after removing core program video files. So if you do get some issues in the future just remember to put the file(s) back, do the upgrade, then remove the file(s) again if necessary. Good luck.

Regards. :sunglasses:

thanks for the heads up!

I’m still getting this error consistently with Cubase 9.0.20, usually after the app has been launched for awhile. No DVCPROHDMuxer.component on my (mac) system and no aggregate devices. Super annoying.

maybe Cubase just works better on PCs…
I started working with Logic after being super frustrated by the eLicenser and all the crashes; it works much better on my macbook pro.

Sorry Cubase, we’ve been friends for nearly 20 years, but I’m getting tired of you :frowning: